Thursday, October 1, 2020

This 'n That Thursday: The Pandemic Popularity of Cottagecore, Part 2

Farmhouse in China (from DeviantArt)

It's time for Part 2 of my exploration into the Cottagecore aesthetic (see Part 1 here).  As I mentioned in the first post, I find the YouTube cooking vlogs of a number of rural Chinese women to be good representations of the type of lifestyle embraced by Cottagecore - a simple country life which includes growing or foraging for food and cooking meals with these fresh ingredients, usually over a wood-fired stove.  Projects which involve gathering raw materials for projects such as building furniture, making pottery, creating artwork, or weaving cloth are also occasionally featured.  Below are a few more of these YouTube vloggers that I have discovered, in addition to the three that I mentioned in my first post.  Since today is the Mid-Autumn Festival, which is very popular in China, I tried to include vlogs showing preparations for this year's festival if they were available.

Rural Lianjie (frequent vlog updates; she has three adorable yellow lab-type dogs):

Drunkard Lee (frequent vlog updates; she has two young daughters and a baby boy on the way):


Hunan Girls (vlog updates about once a week; she lives in a stone cottage in the mountains with spectacular views):

 

Longmeimei (vlog updates about once a week; she has a cute young daughter and a yellow lab-type dog):


 Yangdawan (fairly new to me, vlog updates about once a week):


 ErmiChuiyan (fairly new to me, vlog updates about once a week):

 

Next time we will leave China to check out vlogs from other nations that I feel also capture the essence of the Cottagecore aesthetic.  After that, I think I will explore vlogs of another aesthetic that has been popular for a while called "hygge", which is particularly appropriate for the cooler months of the year.  I find these sorts of vlogs to be quite soothing during these pandemic times, and my hope is that you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment