Friday, October 2, 2020

Foodie Fridays: Zucchini Spice Bread


In my quest to use up my bounteous zucchini harvest, I found another zucchini bread recipe to try.  I made a few changes, such as decreasing the amount of sugar and using cinnamon chips instead of nuts.  I also did not squeeze the moisture out of the shredded zucchini, which meant I could leave out the liquid called for in the original recipe.  This bread is great for breakfast, especially when spread with Boar's Head Pumpkin Pie Dessert Hummus, a product I discovered recently that is quite delicious.  (Is it wrong to spread a winter squash hummus on a summer squash bread?  I hope not!)

One of these days I will run out of summer squash, and then I can start featuring some non-squash recipes, but for now all I seem to be making is summer squash dishes.  Is it any wonder that I am getting tired of squash, especially zucchini, which never seems to stop producing.  However, next year I might not even have time to garden if we can get back on track with our move from Georgia to New Mexico, so I suppose I should appreciate what I have while I have it.  At least I know that I can always make tasty zucchini bread whenever I want it!

Zucchini Spice Bread

1/3 C. vegetable oil
1/3 C. sugar, honey, or maple syrup
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 C. grated zucchini (do not squeeze dry)
1 2/3 C. flour
1 C. chocolate or cinnamon chips

In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil and sugar and beat with a whisk until well combined.  Add the eggs and beat well.  Add the milk, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg.  Whisk to blend.  Switch to a big spoon and fold in the zucchini, then add the flour and stir just until combined.  Gently fold in the chips.  Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes.  Transfer the bread to a wire rack and cool for 20 minutes before slicing with a sharp, serrated knife.  Serves 10.

Note: This bread is moist, so it will keep for just 2-3 days at room temperature.  Store it in the refrigerator for 5-7 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.  You can slice the bread before freezing and defrost individual slices, either by lightly toasting them or defrosting them in the microwave.

(I am sure that you have heard the news that our President and the First Lady have tested positive for COVID-19.  We should all be hoping and praying for a speedy recovery for them as well as anyone else infected with the virus.  Please practice social distancing and wear your mask when you must be out in public.  Stay safe and stay well, everyone!)

No comments:

Post a Comment