May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, March 13, 2020

Foodie Fridays: Sheet Pan Shrimp Scampi with Orzo


This recipe for Sheet Pan Shrimp Scampi is just delicious, and so easy to make!  I think I prefer this preparation method to the traditional stovetop one (see my version here), mainly because the use of orzo rather than linguine makes this the perfect comfort food that can be eaten with a spoon rather than a fork!  The changes I made to this recipe were minimal - I left out the thin-sliced lemon rounds because I only had one lemon, and I substituted small shrimp for medium-sized ones because they were easier to find at the local Walmart and were tail-free (making them easier to eat with a spoon as well!).

I decreased the amount of orzo, mostly because it was what I had left in my pantry but also because I like to reduce the carbs in any recipe whenever possible.  The last change I made was to greatly increase the amount of parsley.  I stirred it into the dish rather than just sprinkling it on top, which added more color and flavor.  I cannot praise this recipe enough, it was so good.  In fact, I have already bought the ingredients to make it again!

Sheet Pan Shrimp Scampi with Orzo

1 1/3 C. orzo pasta
1 1/2 C. water
1/3 C. white wine, plus 1 tablespoon
4 T. cubed unsalted butter, divided
1 1/2 lbs. small shrimp, peeled, de-veined, tail off (60-80/lb.), thawed if frozen
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. olive oil
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/4 C. grated Parmesan
1/2 C. minced parsley (3/4 oz. pkg.)
salt and pepper to taste

Place the orzo in a sheet pan or baking pan with the water, 1/3 C. white wine, and 2 T. cubed butter, plus salt and pepper to taste.  Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes until the pasta is al dente.

In a medium bowl, toss together the shrimp, garlic, olive oil, and 1 T. white wine, plus salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the sheet pan from the oven.  Stir the orzo, adding a bit of water if the pasta on the edges is dry.  Top with the shrimp mixture and the remaining 2 T. cubed butter.  Bake for another 6-8 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through.

Remove the sheet pan from the oven.  Toss the shrimp and orzo with the lemon zest and juice, Parmesan, and parsley.  Season to taste with more salt and pepper if needed.  Serves 4.

Note: Next time I may increase the amount of water to 1 2/3 C. to see if that will keep the pasta from drying out, although stirring in more water as suggested in the recipe worked just fine to rehydrate the edges.  (Or maybe I should increase the wine to 1/2 C.?)
                

No comments:

Post a Comment