May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, March 6, 2020

Foodie Fridays: Orecchiette, Chickpea, and Chicken Stew


Today's recipe is very loosely based on one I found for Brothy Pasta with Chickpeas as I leafed through an old Bon Appétit magazine in a local Jiffy Lube waiting room while my car got an oil change.  Instead of adding canned tomatoes, sautéed onion, and rosemary, I used a container of a red tomato-based salsa that was languishing in the fridge because it was too spicy for me.  In this stew, the spiciness was diluted enough for me to tolerate, and the salsa added a nice flavor kick to an otherwise rather bland list of ingredients.  I had some leftover rotisserie chicken breasts that I shredded and added as well, making this dish much heartier than the original recipe.  Since my version is a blend of Italian and Mexican ingredients, you could use either an Italian cheese or a Mexican cheese as a topping if you feel the need to add cheese (I did not).

As usual, my tendency to laziness led me to make an easy recipe even easier, and this stew came together very quickly and almost effortlessly.  It is also tasty and filling, and was just what I needed for these last few chilly days before a spring warm-up begins in our neck of the woods.  It is almost time to start thinking about lighter warm-weather recipes here in Santa Fe, but if you live in a colder climate this dish is a perfect comfort food!

Orecchiette, Chickpea, and Chicken Stew

1 T. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 container (about 16 oz.) salsa (spicy if you like, mild if you don't)
1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
8 oz. orecchiette pasta
2-3 C. shredded cooked chicken
sour cream and/or shredded or crumbled cheese for topping

Sauté the garlic in the olive oil over medium heat for one minute.  Stir in the salsa and chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes to thicken.  Add the pasta and 4 cups of water.  Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until the pasta is done.  Stir in the chicken and heat through.  Serve topped with sour cream and/or cheese, if desired.  Serves 4.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment