Friday, March 20, 2020

Foodie Fridays: Seoul Food Korean Turkey Meatloaf


When I saw the Seoul Food (Korean Meatloaf) recipe on the Olla-Podrida blog, I just had to give it a try.  I did make a few changes, the biggest one being the substitution of ground turkey for ground beef, since I am allergic to red meat.  I also used grated daikon radish instead of carrot.  My mother was Korean, and while I do not remember her ever using carrots as an ingredient in Korean dishes she did like radishes.  I had no barbecue sauce, but I did have catsup which is, oddly, used in Korean cooking, specifically as an ingredient in a Korean rice omelet.  I substituted more sweet chili sauce for the honey in the meatloaf topping because I love this chili sauce!  Like most meatloaves, this one is even better the next day, especially in a meatloaf sandwich.  Meatloaf is a great recipe to make when you are sheltering at home, so do give this one a try.

Seoul Food Korean Turkey Meatloaf

2 lbs. ground turkey
1 T. toasted sesame seeds
3/4 C. Panko breadcrumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
8 oz. chunk daikon radish, peeled and grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 T. soy sauce
1 T. sweet chili sauce
1/4 tsp. ginger
2/3 C. catsup
2 T. sweet chili sauce
4 tsp. rice vinegar

In a large bowl, mix together the first ten ingredients.  Press into a lightly greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.

In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining three ingredients.  Pour one-quarter of the sauce over the meatloaf, reserving the remaining sauce.

Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.  Pour one-third of the remaining sauce over the meatloaf and bake for about 15 minutes longer, to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.  Remove from the oven and let stand for about five minutes before serving with the rest of the sauce.  Serves 8.

Note: Leftover meatloaf makes a fantastic open-face meatloaf sandwich (spread the bread with catsup or any remaining sauce).

No comments:

Post a Comment