April 24th is International Guide Dog Day!

Sunday, January 13, 2019

Weekend Wardrobe: What I Wore for Our 2019 New Mexico House Hunting Trip

New Mexico is colder and snowier than Georgia!
(image from City-Data Forum)

Packing for our most recent New Mexico trip was especially challenging for a couple of reasons.  First, the weather in New Mexico was about 50 degrees colder than our weather in Georgia!  We really had to scramble to find our warmest clothes, and then make sure not to dress too warmly for the trip to the Atlanta airport and back.  Second, the day we returned to Georgia we were scheduled to attend a mystery dinner theater.  We stayed in Atlanta from about noon (when we returned) to about ten PM, when the play ended.  That meant we had to dress before we left New Mexico (at 3 AM) for the dinner theater as we would not have a chance to change clothes!

Considering all of the different clothing requirements for this trip, I think I managed to do pretty well with my packing.  I did leave a pair of comfortable shoes in our car, which we left in the airport parking garage, so that I could finally change out of the boots I wore for the entire New Mexico trip.  Comfortable as they are, I knew I would get tired of wearing the same shoes for so many days, and the boots would be a little too warm for a day in Atlanta.

Here is what I wore for the flight from Atlanta to Albuquerque:

Clockwise from top left: Fair Indigo Tey-Art Niobara Intarsia Alpaca Fair Trade Cardigan (no longer available); Olivia + Joy Zap Zoom Tote in Black (no longer available); Turtle Fur Bang Band Chelonia 150 Classic Fleece Headband in Black (similar to mine); Columbia Lake 22 Hooded Jacket in Black (similar to mine); Southcombe Mabel Warm Lined Leather Gloves in Black (similar to mine); No Nonsense Women's Flat Knit Crew Socks in Black; Bombas Women's Merino Wool Calf Socks in Charcoal (I also packed a pair in Black); Skyway Tieton Carry-On Spinner Luggage in Blue Paisley; Sorel Women's Whitney Camp Boots in Black; L.L. Bean Women's Plain Front Comfort Waist Stretch Bayside Corduroys in Dusty Olive (similar to mine); Land's End Women's Relaxed V-Neck Supima Cotton Long Sleeve T-Shirt in Charcoal Heather (similar to mine).

The headband, gloves, and wool socks were packed in my tote bag to wear when we arrived in frigid New Mexico at almost 10 PM.  We had to drive north from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, and the temperature just kept dropping - I think the low that night was 8 degrees!  Luckily my quilted coat and especially my alpaca cardigan were warm enough.  I highly recommend an alpaca cardigan for anyone traveling from a warm to a cold climate or vice versa.  When it is buttoned it really holds in the warmth, but if the temperature starts to rise just unbutton the cardigan and all of that heat will escape so that you will not feel too hot.

These are the items that I packed:

Clockwise from top left: Great American Leatherworks Tuscany Scoop Stud Triple Entry Crossbody Bag in Black (similar to mine); Land's End Women's Crew Sweatshirt in Pewter Heather (similar to mine); Sterling Silver 20 Strand Liquid Silver Necklace (similar to mine); Hudson North V-Neck Fair Isle Sweater in Black (no longer available - similar to mine); Duluth Trading Company Women's Longtail T Long Sleeve Crew Neck T-Shirt in White (similar to mine); L.L. Bean Women's Favorite Fit Straight-Leg 1912 Jeans in Vintage Black (similar to mine); Chico's So Slimming Juliet Ankle Pants in Black; Land's End Women's Sweatpants in Pewter Heather (similar to mine); Coldwater Creek Tailored Denim Trousers (no longer available); Land's End Womens Relaxed V-Neck Supima Cotton Long Sleeve T-Shirt in Rich Red (color no longer available - similar to mine); Center: Coldwater Creek Long-Sleeve Ribbed Sweater in Robin's Egg (similar to mine).

I wore the sweatpants and sweatshirt for sleeping, and the extra warmth was definitely needed!  On our first day of house hunting I wore the red long-sleeved tee with the denim trousers plus my alpaca sweater, and on the second day I wore the black Fair Isle sweater with the white long-sleeved tee and black jeans.  For the return flight and later the mystery dinner theater I wore the ribbed light blue sweater, liquid silver necklace, and the knit pants (which are very comfortable and were perfect for that long day) plus the alpaca cardigan (I removed the latter when we arrived in much warmer Atlanta).  I did pack a couple of extra long-sleeved tees and another sweatshirt which I did not wear.  Other than that, I wore everything else I brought so I consider my travel wardrobe to have been just the right number of items.  I feel that if I cannot carry my own luggage on a trip then I am bringing too many clothes, and I am happy to say that I had no trouble toting my own bags around!

🌵🏠🌵🏠🌵🏠🌵🏠🌵🏠🌵🏠🌵🏠🌵🏠🌵🏠🌵🏠🌵🏠🌵🏠🌵

Our big news is that we finally found our dream retirement house!  We are under contract and in the process of dealing with all of the paperwork (which seems to have multiplied exponentially from the last time we bought a house).  If all goes well we will close late in February, and then we will start making decisions on when we will sell our Georgia home and begin the moving process.  Life will be very complicated but exciting for us this year.  My blogging schedule will probably become rather erratic, but I will start posting more information about our new home as soon as it is ours, so stay tuned!
               

No comments:

Post a Comment