April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Friday, January 18, 2019

Foodie Fridays: Grilled Cheddar, Turkey, and Green Chile Sandwich


Years ago, when we lived in the Colorado foothills, there was a little restaurant at the bottom of our road called Vern's Place.  We would stop there for lunch occasionally, and I always ordered the same meal, which was a grilled cheese sandwich filled with green chiles and your choice of turkey or beef (because of my red meat allergy I always got the turkey).  This sandwich was absolutely delicious!

Alas, fast forward to the present day, and apparently Vern's Place has become modernized.  I am sure it is still a great place for a meal, perhaps even better than it was when we lived there, but sadly my favorite sandwich is no longer on the menu (I wonder if it can be special ordered?).  So, in memory of that beloved sandwich, here is the recipe as I remember it.  I can't say if it is authentic, but it is close enough to bring back fond memories.  May you enjoy it as much as I did back in the day (and still do)!

Grilled Cheddar, Turkey, and Green Chile Sandwich

2 slices of your favorite sandwich bread (I used whole wheat)
softened butter or mayonnaise
2 thick slices sharp cheddar cheese
1 whole canned green chile, drained, cut in half, and patted dry
3 slices oven-roasted deli turkey

Spread one side of each bread slice with butter or mayonnaise.  Place one slice, buttered side down, in a skillet over medium heat.  Place one slice of cheese on top of the bread.  Add the chile halves.  Top with the turkey and then the remaining cheese.  Place the other bread slice, buttered side up, on top.  Grill 3-4 minutes per side.  Serve hot.  Serves 1.

Note: If you like spicier chiles and you can find them, freshly roasted New Mexican Hatch chiles are great on this sandwich.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment