March 27th is Manatee Appreciation Day!

Friday, January 11, 2019

Foodie Fridays: Vanilla Chai Lemon Ricotta Muffins


Once again I just had to try a recipe from the Half-Baked Harvest website (one of my favorite food blogs), this time for the Vanilla Chai Lemon Ricotta Muffins.  These light and tasty muffins come together quickly and the unique combination of ingredients make them unlike any other muffins I have ever made.  I made only a few minor changes to the original recipe (used different flours, used different types of oil and honey, used a regular instead of a Meyer lemon, and used part skim rather than whole milk ricotta, based on what I had on hand).  Next time I will probably increase the spices, perhaps even doubling them, because I like lots of sweet spice flavor, and I would like to try the Meyer lemon or double the amount of regular lemon for a more intense citrus flavor, but these muffins were still good just the way I made them.  I do not usually butter muffins, but next time I may even try making the Lemon Poppyseed Butter recipe that was also included in the original post!

Vanilla Chai Lemon Ricotta Muffins

1 C. white flour
3/4 C. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cardamom
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C. oil*
1/2 C. honey**
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 C. ricotta cheese (I used part skim)

Thoroughly combine the first nine (dry) ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.

Blend the oil, honey, and vanilla in a large bowl.  Beat in the eggs one at a time.  Stir in the lemon zest and juice.  Add the ricotta cheese and whisk until no large lumps remain.  Gently stir in the dry ingredients, then mix just until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated (do not over-beat).

Divide the batter evenly among 12 muffin tin cups lined with paper liners.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.  Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.  Serves 12.

*I used Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil.
**I used Kroger Private Selection Vanilla & Nutmeg Infused Honey (which no longer seems to be available).
             

No comments:

Post a Comment