April 19th is National Garlic Day!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Holiday Hits: National Lobster Newburg Day


Today is National Lobster Newburg Day, which is quite fitting for my week of lobster posts!  I have only cooked live lobster a couple of times in my life, and spiny lobster only once.  When I lived in the Caribbean, I became good friends with my nearest neighbor, a wonderful old local man whose family had lived on the island for generations.  I would occasionally prepare soup or baked goods for him, and even made him his favorite pineapple upside-down cake for his birthday.  Many of the local fishermen were good friends of his, and once he gave me a spiny lobster they had caught as a gift.  Those critters are huge!  It took me a while to figure out how to cook it, but once I did, Lobster Newburg was the dish I made -- here is the easy recipe I used from an old Pillsbury cookbook of mine:

Lobster Newburg

1/4 C. butter
1 1/2 T. flour
1 lb. (2 C.) cooked lobster meat, cut into chunks
1/2 tsp. salt
dash paprika
1/4 C. dry sherry or white wine
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 1/2 C. light cream

Melt butter in a medium pan or double boiler.  Stir in flour and let cook one minute.  Add the next four ingredients.  In a small bowl, combine egg yolks and cream.  Gradually add to lobster mixture and blend well.  Cook over very low heat or hot water until thickened, stirring frequently.  Serve with toasted bread or patty shells.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment