May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, January 15, 2021

Foodie Fridays: Cheese Ravioli with Turkey and Broccoli Cream Sauce

I think I am going to officially declare January to be Clean Out the Fridge and Pantry Month.  Like last week, I came up with a recipe using up foods that have been around in my kitchen for a bit too long, this time exclusively from the fridge.  I bought the ravioli and the frozen broccoli last spring at the start of the pandemic to stock up during the lockdown, but they have been sitting in the freezer ever since, so I decided it was time to just use them up.  I had some leftover turkey in the fridge as well as some half 'n half that I forgot was in there, so with just a few more ingredients I put together a main dish that was quick and tasty.  I think I am on a roll here - next up is a bag of frozen shrimp which is just begging to be cooked - perhaps a scampi-style dish?

Cheese Ravioli with Turkey and Broccoli Cream Sauce

1 bag (25 oz.) frozen cheese ravioli
4 T. butter
4 T. flour
2 C. whole milk*
1/2 tsp. salt
1-2 C. diced cooked turkey
2 bags (12 oz. each) frozen broccoli florets

Cook the ravioli in a large pot according to the package directions.

While the ravioli cooks, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Stir in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes until the butter and flour are well mixed.  Gradually pour in the milk, stirring constantly, until there are no lumps and the sauce thickens (this will take about 5 minutes).  Add the turkey to the cream sauce and heat through.  Remove the skillet from the heat.

A few minutes before the ravioli is done, add the broccoli florets and cook until thawed and heated through.  Remove the cooking pot from the heat.  Remove the broccoli to a large cutting board with a slotted spoon.  Drain the ravioli and set aside.

Dice the broccoli onto small pieces and stir into the cream sauce.  Add the ravioli and stir gently until well coated with the sauce.  Serve immediately.  Serves 6.

*I used 1 C. half 'n half and 1 C. water.

No comments:

Post a Comment