May 3rd is National Public Radio Day!

Thursday, January 2, 2020

This 'n That Thursdays: Some New Products I Am Loving Right Now


Since moving to New Mexico I have discovered a few new products that I cannot seem to live without now, so I thought I would share my finds.  First up, you may recall that I was searching for a butter substitute that would replace my favorite butter/canola oil blend in an effort to reduce my saturated fat intake.  The avocado oil spread I tried was good, but did not have the true buttery taste I was looking for.  I tried the spread by Earth Balance, and while the flavor was better the texture was too crumbly and it did not melt easily on toast the way my favorite butter spread did.  Recently I discovered Country Crock Plant Butter with Almond Oil, and it is perfect!  The taste is so similar to butter, and it melts just the way it should when spread on toast.  I also purchased it in stick form so that the next time I bake I can substitute it for real butter.  I will let you know how successful this substitution is when I try it!


New Mexico's climate is much drier than that of Georgia, of course, and when the temperatures drop my skin can get really dry.  For my lips, I discovered that the best treatment is Aquaphor Lip Protectant with Sunscreen (the sun is also very intense here).  I find that I only need to apply it once a day, in the morning, and my lips do not dry out and crack at all.


For my hands, I need an emollient-rich cream to prevent the skin from cracking and bleeding, since I am outdoors several times a day to care for my horse and often must remove my gloves to get my chores done.  The first time it got very cold here I ended up with four bandaged fingers at once thanks to deeply cracked and bleeding cuticles that took quite a while to heal.  The best cream I have found is one my husband got for me a while ago but was too rich for me to use in Georgia.  The Soap & Paper Factory Classic Hand Cream in Lavender has worked so well that I have had not problems with dry hands since I started using it, and the lavender fragrance (my favorite scent) is an added bonus.
New Mexico is known for its southwestern food, and that means chiles, so I have been learning to love chiles!  I got here a little too late for peak Hatch chile season, but I have found a favorite bottled variety that is a good substitute when the fresh chiles are not in season.  I have added 505 Southwestern Flame Roasted Green Chile to my favorite chili recipe as well as soup, corn muffins, and dips, and my husband has been adding them to just about everything!  We both love the smoky, earthy flavor and subtle heat they add to any dish.


If you do make green chile corn muffins, you may want to save some for breakfast and spread them with Heidi's Raspberry Red Chile Jam.  I was afraid that the jam might be a bit too hot for me, but the heat is subtle, not overpowering, and complements the green chile in the muffins quite well.  (As you can tell, we are eating quite well here in Santa Fe!)



As I continue to settle in to our new location I am sure I will discover more useful products, and I will continue to post my finds here.  I still have some unpacking to do, but hopefully I am back on a more regular blogging schedule now!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment