May 3rd is National Public Radio Day!

Friday, January 31, 2020

Foodie Fridays: Sweet Potato-Cauliflower Mash


After a day spent running errands yesterday I was ready for a fast and easy dinner.  I had picked up a piece of cooked salmon from the grocery store, but needed a tasty side dish that would come together quickly.  My choice was a simple sweet potato and cauliflower mash, and it complemented the salmon beautifully.  The next time I make this I may experiment with adding more flavorings, but the mash is quite tasty as is and may not even need any additions.  I substituted Country Crock Plant Butter Sticks with Almond Oil for the butter, and I did not notice any difference in taste (I am really impressed with this product!).  I just love a simple but tasty side dish, and this one is even relatively healthy!

Sweet Potato-Cauliflower Mash

1 large sweet potato (mine was about 1 1/4 lbs.)
1 bag (12 oz.) microwaveable cauliflower florets
4 T. butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1-2 T. half 'n half
minced parsley for garnish (optional)

Prick the sweet potato several times along the top with a fork.  Put on a microwave-safe plate and cook in the microwave on HIGH for about 8 minutes.  Remove and set aside.  Cook the cauliflower florets in the microwave according to package directions (about 4 minutes on HIGH).

Split open the sweet potato and scoop the flesh out into a large bowl.  Add the cooked cauliflower.  Cut the butter into several pieces and add to the bowl with the salt.  Mash the vegetables and butter together with a potato masher until the butter is melted (I like to leave the vegetables a bit chunky).  Stir in as much half 'n half as needed to give the mash a creamy texture.  Spoon the mash into a serving bowl and sprinkle with parsley if desired.  Serves 4.

Note: Don't be too concerned about ingredient proportions - I just picked out a very large sweet potato, and if you prefer to cut up a head of cauliflower rather than buying the bagged variety use as much as you like in this dish.  Adjust the remaining ingredients as needed to accommodate the amount of vegetables you choose to use.

I need to find a good recipe for this Everything Salmon (a salmon
fillet coated in Everything Bagel Seasoning) that I picked up at a local
grocery store - it is one of the few ways that I will eat salmon,
which I do not especially like.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment