April 29th is International Dance Day!

Friday, October 26, 2018

Foodie Fridays: Pesto Cheese Stuffed Shells in Sausage Pumpkin Sauce


Once again I made an entrée based on a recipe from the Half Baked Harvest website.  This time I tried the Spicy Pumpkin and Pesto Cheese Stuffed Shells, but modified it by using a jarred pasta sauce that I had in my pantry, adding some garlic, and eliminating most of the spiciness since I do not care for really spicy-hot dishes.  The recipe is just a bit fussy with the stuffing of each individual shell, but the end result is worth this tiny bit of extra effort.

I used a different type of shredded cheese because I am not a fan of fontina, but use any cheese you prefer.  If you do not have a squash-based jarred sauce available, refer to the original recipe for the sauce recipe, which is really quite easy to make, and feel free to make your version as spicy as you like.  This baked pasta recipe is a wonderful cold weather comfort food.  It reminds me of lasagne, but to me it is much tastier and less tedious to make.  I know I will be making this recipe again now that our weather has turned chilly!

Pesto Cheese-Stuffed Shells in Sausage Pumpkin Sauce

2 T. olive oil
16 oz. Italian chicken sausages, casings removed*
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
1 jar (about 25 oz.) pumpkin or butternut squash pasta sauce**
2 tsp. dried oregano
pinch of cayenne pepper
24 jumbo pasta shells (I used Barilla Jumbo Shells)
2 C. (16 oz.) ricotta cheese
2 C. shredded cheese (I used my favorite cheddar-mozzarella blend)
12 oz. (3/4 C.) pesto (store-bought or homemade)
8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Brown the sausage in the oil, breaking up any large chunks.  Add the red bell pepper and cook until soft.  Add the garlic and cook one minute longer.  Stir in the pasta sauce, oregano, and cayenne pepper and heat through.  Remove from the heat and set aside.

Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente, about 10 minutes.  Drain, rinse, and set aside in the pot with just enough cold water to cover (this will keep them from sticking to each other).

Combine the ricotta, shredded cheese, and 1/2 C. pesto in a large bowl.

To assemble, spread 3/4 of the pumpkin sauce on the bottom of a greased 9x13-inch baking pan.  Stuff each pasta shell with 1 T. of the ricotta filling and place on top of the sauce, covering the top completely with the shells.  Spoon the remaining sauce over the shells, and then spread the remaining pesto over as well.  Evenly space the mozzarella slices on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until the cheese melts and the top is slightly browned.  Remove from the oven and cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.  Serves 6-8.

*I used Publix Greenwise Mild Italian Chicken Sausage, but they also have a hot version for those who prefer a spicier dish.

**I used Cucina Antica Tuscany Pumpkin Saucewhich is excellent, but any brand will work (Trader Joe's Autumnal Harvest Creamy Pasta Sauce would be a good choice).
             

No comments:

Post a Comment