April 23rd is National Picnic Day!

Sunday, August 12, 2018

On the Homefront: Coastal Crabs and Canine Cuties Table

Blue Crab Sprint table linens

I set this summery table back in June, but have only just now gotten around to downloading the images!  You may sort of recognize the Puppy Love Salad Plates - they are the other half of the set I used for my Independence Day table in July.  The light blue and sand hues happened to perfectly match a new set of Blue Crab Sprint table linens (shown above) that I purchased earlier this year which feature a design of coastal crabs at the shoreline between ocean and beach.  I think the plates combined quite well with the linens, and made for a rather unique table theme of dogs at a crabby beach! (I'm afraid my photography looks even worse than usual because I had to take these pictures on a a mostly overcast day, one of far too many we have had this summer.)


Blue Crab Sprint Place Mat; Puppy Love Salad Plate; white Shell by Gibson Designs dinner plate (from Target eons ago); Blue Crab Sprint Napkin; Cranston Rainbow Mirror flatware; turquoise Artland Iris Goblet; etched crab water glass (from HomeGoods a few years ago).

Here is the other salad plate, which features a pug mug!





A fish-shaped glass canister filled with seashells and a small turquoise-blue
bottle sits on a Shell by Gibson Designs platter at the head of the table,
surrounded by two blue candles and a set of scallop and starfish salt and
pepper shakers (a recent purchase from HomeGoods).

A large candle in a sand-colored glass jar is set the middle of a shallow glass
dish filled with blue, white, and clear glass beads for a simple centerpiece.

I have had this colorful square fish platter for a while, but this is the first
time I have set a table in a color scheme that matches it!

Obviously the menu for this table has to include crab!  One of my brothers always sends us a bountiful supply of Maryland crab cakes for Christmas.  In the past they have been softball-sized.  This year they are more numerous but smaller, not quite the size a tennis ball, so they are perfect for serving as sliders.  I recommend serving the crab cakes on a rich egg-based roll, a brioche if you can find (or make!) it or King's Hawaiian dinner rolls if you can't, but use any small bun you like.  I like to combine tartar and cocktail sauce as a condiment for crab cakes (more of the former than the latter for me, but play around with proportions to suit your preferences).  I decided an unusual side dish would go well with the sliders, so I went with a watermelon-based salad.  For dessert, lately I have been obsessed with blueberries served over Chobani Orange & Cream Greek Yogurt so that was my choice as the meal finale.

Coastal Crabs Menu:

Crab Cake Sliders/Arugula and Tartar-Cocktail Sauce
Orange Yogurt/Fresh Blueberries

g🐶g🐶g🐶g🐶g🐶g🐶g🐶g🐶g🐶g🐶g🐶g🐶g🐶g

You will be seeing the Puppy Love Salad Plates again soon, when I set my table for Dalmatian Appreciation Day at the end of the month.  Enjoy these dog days of summer while you can.  For those of us in the South they will be around for quite a while longer, but those of you farther north will be feeling a touch of fall in the air soon!

Dalmatian Sandy and her crabby friend Blue wish you the very best summer!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment