April 27th is World Tapir Day!

Friday, August 17, 2018

Foodie Fridays: Corn and Avocado Gazpacho


My inspiration for this recipe came from my favorite New Mexico eatery called Café Fina, which is on the outskirts of Santa Fe.  Everything we have eaten there has been delicious, and we love the casual and laid back atmosphere of this little establishment.  When we were there last month we stopped in just a little too late for breakfast and a little too early for lunch, so I ordered a cup of their Avocado Corn Gazpacho as a snack.  This soup blew me away!  The flavor was so delectable I asked if they had a cookbook, but unfortunately they do not (yet!).  I decided then and there that when we got home I was going to try my hand at making my own version.

My recipe is a modification of one I found called Sweet Corn and Avocado Gazpacho on the Lynchburg Community Market website.  My version would probably not be considered a true gazpacho, because these soups are traditionally uncooked and I chose to cook my aromatics (onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño chili) rather than use them raw.  However, if Michael Chiarello can make a Slightly Cooked Gazpacho, then I think I can feel free to do the same!

I made quite a few changes to the original recipe (see my extensive Notes at the end of the recipe), and even then this soup is not very much like the one I had in Santa Fe.  The Café Fina version was more of a clear soup than a creamy one, and was a bright green color with noticeable vegetable pieces.  My variation is more like corn-flavored guacamole in a bowl, but I think it is almost as tasty as Café Fina's gazpacho.  If you are craving a cool soup for the hot weather of late summer, then this may be the recipe to try!

Corn and Avocado Gazpacho

1-2 T. olive oil
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (I used a Vidalia onion)
1 small jalapeño, minced
3 C. corn (fresh or frozen)
2 C. water
2 T. cilantro paste*
2 avocados
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
crumbled queso fresco for topping

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the bell pepper and onion and cook until they begin to soften, about 5-7 minutes.  Add the jalapeño and cook until soft and the onions are translucent, about 5-7 more minutes.  Add the corn, turn off the heat, and stir until the corn is warmed through.

Remove from the heat and stir in one cup of the water.  Purée with an immersion blender until creamy but not completely smooth.  Sitr in the cilantro paste.

Peel and pit the avocados and add to the corn mixture.  Blend with the immersion blender just until the avocados are smooth, adding as much water as needed to achieve your desired consistency (I used the full remaining one cup).  Add salt to taste.  Serve at room temperature topped with a generous amount of crumbled queso fresco.  Serves 6-8.

*I use Gourmet Garden Cilantro Stir-In Paste.

Notes: I used a red bell pepper, but choose any color you like.  A whole jalapeño may have been a bit too spicy for me and I may cut back to just a half next time, but if you like lots of heat add as much as you prefer.  If you do not have cilantro paste, use the fresh herb instead (start off with a small amount, tasting and adding more as desired, because cilantro can be quite overpowering).  I did not add any salt because I prefer as little as possible, but use whatever amount you like.  I do love tangy queso fresco, but you can use cheddar, monterey jack, or any other cheese, or make up your own toppings!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment