April 28th is Save the Frogs Day!

Thursday, August 30, 2018

This 'n That Thursdays: Roam Free, Little Animal Crackers Animals!

Top image from Scary Mommy; bottom image from PETA Kids.

Last week Mondelez International, owners of the Nabisco brand and makers of those cute little boxes full of animal crackers, made a major change to the image on the front of the boxes.  No longer are the animals in the design forced to spend eternity in separate barred cages - instead they now stand shoulder to shoulder, walking free against a backdrop of open space in what appears to be the African savannah.  Although the name of the crackers is still Barnum's Animals, the animals on the box are no longer confined to a circus!

Apparently the animals rights group PETA has been lobbying Mondelez International to change the look of the box, and the company decided that it was indeed time to update, perhaps because there has been much public concern lately about the welfare of circus animals.  While the depiction may not be especially realistic (I can't imagine those five particular animals ever voluntarily being in such close proximity to one another, even in a circus!), I for one am quite delighted with the new look.  I even rushed out to a local supermarket to purchase a box with the new design as well as one with the old image.  They are sitting on my desk as I write this so that I can enjoy the change (reminding me that they are supposed to be a good source of calcium, BTW!), but then I am easily amused.

Enjoy your new-found freedom, little animal crackers animals!

Original design suggestion from PETA - I like it!
(image from Simplemost)
             

No comments:

Post a Comment