May 9th is National Butterscotch Brownie Day!

Thursday, May 28, 2020

This 'n That Thursdays: It's the Little Things...

These two little sleeping beauties are of course most important when
it comes to getting through our sheltering in place days!

I have always felt that it would be the little things in life that would get me through the COVID-19 pandemic, especially during this lockdown phase.  Today I thought I would share a few of these little things that are giving me joy these days.  Some of them are purchases and some come courtesy of Mother Nature, but all are greatly appreciated!


I tend to be a creature of habit, and have been using the same functional but quite utilitarian white mug for my morning tea since I got to New Mexico last October.  Recently at a local supermarket I happened to find a slightly more interesting mug in a size and shape that are perfect for my needs, and I bought it on impulse.  I am so happy that I did, because even though it is a little thing I do look forward to using this new mug every morning!


A couple of months ago I found these inexpensive lightweight t-shirts at JCPenney and fell in love with the lobster and turtle prints.  I bought them in anticipation of warmer weather, and finally got to wear them last week.  These shirts are cool, comfortable, and fun to wear - just looking at the animal prints makes me happy!  I was dismayed but not surprised to hear that JCPenney is filing for bankruptcy.  I do not know if this means the company will disappear forever, but if they do I will miss them.


I always look forward to finding a new mystery book series to read, and the Aloha Chicken Mysteries by Josi Avari promises to be a fun one.  I finished the first in the collection last week, and will be ordering more from Amazon soon.  If you have any interest in Hawaii, chickens, and/or cozy mysteries, I highly recommend this series!


I am constantly learning more about the flora and fauna of my new home state.  Pictured above is a white-lined sphinx moth (Hyles lineata) I discovered clinging to one of the many yucca plants (Yucca glauca) growing wild on our property.


And speaking of yucca plants, here is one that is currently flowering right next to one of our entrance gates.  Last year, which was a very wet year, almost all of our yuccas flowered, but this is the only one that waited until this year to do so.  The yucca flower is the New Mexico state flower, so I am especially pleased to see this one blooming happily on our property!


Long after yuccas have flowered, the sturdy dried stalks remain on the plants.  I find them very artistic-looking and just had to collect a couple to display in a wooden vase I bought recently online at a fantastic price (less than $10!) from Pier 1 (another favorite company that has fallen upon hard times and may not survive the pandemic shutdown).


The arrival of spring always puts me in the mood to garden, and I have started a small indoor kitchen windowsill collection.  I found these three tiny succulent planters at Lowe's around Mother's Day, and the cute animal-shaped pots always make me smile!

😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

Have you found that little things are important during these pandemic days?  I must admit that my current pandemic lifestyle does not differ much from my pre-pandemic way of life, and I have always found more joy in life's little everyday matters rather than in major events.  I hope all of you out there are finding ways to cope!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment