May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, May 15, 2020

Foodie Fridays: Easy Tuna Melt


One of my favorite sandwiches is a tuna melt.  I always have the ingredients handy for my easy version, which is quite simple and very quick to make.  Most tuna melts are grilled, but I am just as happy to toast one in a toaster oven, or even to just heat it up in the microwave.  You can get fancy with your tuna salad and add chopped celery, onion, and/or any seasoning that you like, but I prefer my simple three-ingredient version.  Use any bread you like, but an English muffin can be toasted in a regular toaster for a crispy texture without the bother of grilling.  You can also use any cheese you prefer, but I think that sharp cheddar is the best complement to the creamy tuna salad.  In my opinion, a good tuna melt is one of the best comfort foods you can make while sheltering in place!

Easy Tuna Melt

1 packet (2.5 oz.) flaked tuna
1 tsp. mayonnaise (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. pickle relish (or to taste)
1 English muffin, split
2 slices cheddar cheese (I like to use sharp cheddar)

In a small bowl, combine the tuna with the mayonnaise and pickle relish.  Toast the English muffin halves and divide the tuna salad evenly between the two halves (if you like, spread the halves with a little mayonnaise first).  Top each half with a slice of cheese.  Place the halves in a toaster oven and toast until the cheese melts, or if you do not mind a less crispy bread place your sandwiches in the microwave on HIGH for about a minute to melt the cheese.  Serves 1.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment