Wednesday, December 26, 2018

On the Homefront: Buffalo Check and Dalmatians Christmas Brunch Table

Merry the Dalmatian happily shows off her new holiday bow!

Plaid is a popular pattern when decorating for Christmas.  I am not fond of plaid, except for one type, and that is buffalo check!  I like the fact that buffalo check is not too busy - the colors are limited to two, usually red and black, and the intersecting lines of color are simple and the same in size.  I decided my Christmas theme this year would be red and black buffalo check, and I really went all out, buying up as many seasonal items in the pattern as I could find.  This was especially true for tabletop décor, as you can see in the photos below.

I apologize for my poor photo quality.  Our north-facing dining room receives very little natural light at this time of year, and with my limited skill as a photographer and small digital camera I am unable to compensate for this.  Nevertheless, you still get the general idea of what my Christmas table looks like (just imagine it less dark and yellowish!).  The color scheme is red, black, and white, and in addition to the buffalo check Dalmatians are a second theme, in keeping with my year of canine table settings inspired by the fact that 2018 is the Year of the Dog:


Natural wood charger (possibly from Target, ages ago); white dinner plate (Tivoli White by Studio Nova); St. Nicholas Square Buffalo Check Napkin (from Kohl's last year); Dalmatian dessert plate (by Karen Donleavy); white-handled flatware (from Target ages ago); Home Essentials Tuscana Red Stemless Wine Glass for water (from Marshall's a few years ago); black-stemmed wine glass (probably from Target, ages ago); Holidays by Ciroa Buffalo Check Ramekin for chocolates (from HomeGoods this year); ceramic Christmas Dalmatian figurine (from Kroger this year).

A closer look at the cute little Christmas Dalmatian figurine, and the
ramekin holding milk chocolate (red foil) and extra dark chocolate
(black foil) Lindt Lindor truffles (this image is a bit overexposed,
but the colors are more accurate).




Dalmatians Holly and Ivy flank the little artificial tree that dominates
the head of the table.  Dalmatian salt and pepper shakers sit in front
of a festive tin of Walker's Shortbread Scottie Dogs.

In the center of the table is an elongated wooden bowl ready to hold
slices of povitica bread.

A butter dish, a pitcher for orange juice, a charger holding a teapot and
mugs, and a sugar bowl, cream pitcher, and teabags on a small ceramic
tray are  lined up at the foot of the table.

A closer look at the red teapot and Dalmatian mugs.

The Christmas brunch menu is simple and easy to prepare.  The sausage quiche could use a little more seasoning, in my opinion, but the intensely flavored roasted tomatoes served as the side dish add more than enough to compensate.  If you have never tried povitica bread (a type of nut roll), you might want to indulge, because it is one of the best sweet breads I have ever eaten (we like the Reduced Sugar Walnut variety).

Christmas Brunch Menu:

Orange juice
Povitica Bread/Butter
Sausage Quiche*
Hot tea or coffee



1 pkg. (9.6 oz.) Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles
4 green onions, sliced
1 C. shredded cheese (I used a cheddar-mozzarella blend)
4 eggs
2 C. light cream or whole milk
1 C. all-purpose baking mix (I used Bisquick)

Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking pan.  Spread the sausage crumbles evenly on the bottom.  Top with the onions and then the cheese.

Beat the eggs, cream or milk, and baking mix together in a large bowl until well blended.  Pour over the cheese layer in the baking pan.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool 5 minutes.  Cut into 8 squares.  Serves 8.

A bountiful array of holiday treats sits on the credenza.

Santa's cookie plate is surrounded by offerings of cookies and candies,
all part of the Peppermint Bark collection from Williams-Sonoma
(I am not that fond of peppermint, but I am a Dalmatian lover, so I
have to collect these tins!).

🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄

As an added feature, here are a few images of our Christmas décor around the house (I really did go overboard with the buffalo check!):


Red torch ginger is my favorite cut flower, and every year my husband
orders me a tropical bouquet including these flowers as one of my
Christmas gifts.








I hope you and your loved ones are having a delightful holiday season!

1 comment:

  1. You can never have enough buffalo check! And black and red check is my favorite (I have to admit - I thought you would have black and white plaid.....) Love your Christmas table. It's perfect. Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. Katie

    ReplyDelete