April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

On the Homefront: Shades of Blue and White New Year's Day Table

From Vecteezy

My table for New Year's Day was just a simplified version of my Christmas table.  I removed the few truly Christmas-themed items (the dessert plates, water glasses, and artificial tree) and substituted blue napkins for the natural cotton ones to achieve a slightly different look for the start of 2018.  The Dalmatians remain, though, because we will soon be entering the Year of the Dog according to the Chinese calendar, and I intend to make the most of it - be prepared to see quite a few dog-themed tables this year!


Blue cotton placemat; white dinner plate (Tivoli by Studio Nova); blue dessert plate (from Publix many years ago); blue checked coastal design napkin; white-handled flatware; blue wine goblet; clear water glass.



The biggest change to this table was the addition of a lush bouquet of
tropical flowers, a Christmas present from my husband (red torch
ginger is my favorite cut flower).

The only thing to change here is a blue glass plate for the dessert instead
of the marble plate used at Christmas.


I grew up in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, where one traditional New Year's dish is kielbasa with sauerkraut.  My version is based on a recipe I found in an old cookbook I own called Three Rivers Cookbook Volume I, which is full of recipes popular in the area.  The recipe for "Kolbasi with Sauerkraut" was contributed by "Chilly Billy" Cardille, who hosted the popular late night horror movie double feature on local television called Chiller Theater when I was young.  I simplified the original recipe somewhat, but the most important step for this dish is to rinse and drain the sauerkraut well, and to simmer it with more liquid (I use reserved sausage cooking water) for about 30 minutes.  This method will get rid of the excessively salty and sour taste, leaving the sauerkraut tasting mild and almost sweet.

I am no Martha Stewart, so there is no way I am making my own pierogies when perfectly delicious Mrs. T's Classic Onion Pierogies are available at the local supermarkets.  My secret is the cooking method I use.  Instead of just boiling or frying the pierogies, I pan-fry them the same way Chinese Dumplings are cooked.  First I sautéed the frozen dumplings in 2 T. butter according to the package directions until they were lightly browned (about 15-20 minutes).  I then added a cup of the sausage cooking liquid, covered the pan, and simmered the dumplings for about five minutes, draining off the liquid before serving.  So simple, and yet such a great way to add flavor!

Warm pickled beets rounded out the menu (I simply heated a bottled version called Old South Whole Pickled Beets).  For dessert, we had cheesecake left over from our Christmas dinner.  I did not make anything fancy because my husband wanted to watch the Rose Bowl, which started at 5:00 PM and ran right through dinnertime.  (Apparently the game was very exciting, particularly for my husband as he currently teaches at UGA but years ago taught for 17 years at OU, both of the teams playing in this year's game - UGA won, by the way, but it was a hard-fought competition.)  This meal was easy and relatively portable, plus it just seemed like appropriate fare for game watching as well as welcoming in the New Year!

New Year's Day Menu:

Smoked Sausage with Sauerkraut*
Pan-Fried Classic Onion Pierogies
Pickled Beets
Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake

*Smoked Sausage with Sauerkraut

16 oz. good quality sauerkraut (I used Farmhouse Culture Classic Caraway Kraut)
12-16 oz. smoked sausage (I used Hillshire Farm Turkey Smoked Sausage)
2 T. butter
1 medium onion, sliced

Rinse the sauerkraut thoroughly.  Set aside in a colander to drain.

Fill a large skillet with about one inch of water, cover, and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium low, add the sausage, and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes.  Remove the sausage and set aside.  Reserve about 3 cups of the cooking water and discard the rest.

In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes.  Push the onion off to one side of the pan and remove that side of the pan from the heat.  Cut the sausage into six pieces (approximately 4 inches in length) and place them into the pan on the heated side.  Cook the sausage until slightly browned, about 8-10 minutes.

Add the sauerkraut and combine with the onion.  Put the pan completely back on the heat.  Add about one cup of the sausage cooking liquid and stir to combine with the sauerkraut mixture.  Nestle the sausage pieces in the sauerkraut.  Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 30 minutes, adding more cooking liquid 1/2 cup at a time as needed if the mixture begins to dry out (be sure to save one cup of the liquid for the pierogies).  Serves 4.

I hope 2018 is as bold and beautiful as my tropical flowers!

🔔 🎉🔔🎉🔔🎉🔔🎉🔔🎉🔔🎉🔔🎉🔔🎉🔔🎉🔔🎉🔔🎉🔔

Let's ring out the old, ring in the new, and celebrate the arrival of a brand new year!
               

1 comment:

  1. Cee Pluse,
    As a PA German descendant , living in PA , pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes are a New Year’s Day must have ! While we had lunch out with friends on January 1, I have a pork roast waiting for the crockpot later in the week — the sauerkraut was all sold out at the grocery store, so New Year’s traditions shall be briefly delayed.

    ReplyDelete