Monday, December 3, 2018

Mystery Mondays: "Christmas Party" by Rex Stout

From Wikiwand

I thought I would start the holiday season by going back to some Mystery Monday posts, with mysteries featuring a Yuletide theme (after this week I will take a break from my Monday political comments until after the holidays, unless something truly noteworthy comes up!).  I recently started reading a mystery anthology called The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries, which contains a number of old favorites as well as previously unknown-to-me works.  One of the stories included is the Rex Stout tale called "Christmas Party" featuring his larger than life gourmet detective, Nero Wolfe.  The original 1957 work has some racist undertones, but if you can ignore those it is an intriguing story in which Nero Wolfe is forced to solve a murder or face personal humiliation.  You can listen to an excellent radio adaptation here, or watch this YouTube video of the equally excellent A&E Networks version from an episode of their A Nero Wolfe Mystery series:



I just love kicking off the holiday season celebration with a good old-fashioned mystery!
                

No comments:

Post a Comment