April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Sunday, November 26, 2017

On the Homefront: Autumnal Colors Thanksgiving Table

Pilgrim the Dalmatian is always ready and willing to express gratitude
for the Thanksgiving feast!

My table setting for Thanksgiving this year was inspired by a salad plate from Pier 1 with a pretty autumnal fox print.  I used ivory, muted orange, and brown hues from the plate as my table colors.  The table is simple and seasonal, just like the menu I prepared this year.


Pumpkin-colored place mat; BHG Amity Ivory Dinner Plate (no longer available); Daisy the Fox Salad/Dessert Plate (from Pier 1 recently); Raymond Waites Ivory Marrakech Napkin (from HomeGoods recently); Il Mulino New York copper-colored flatware (from HomeGoods this year); clear water and wine glasses.




A dark brown ceramic vase filled with red-orange mums, two coppery
brown glass leaf-shaped candle plates with leaf-shaped candles, and
a set of cute hedgehog salt and pepper shakers from Pier 1 adorn the
head of the table.
A shallow brown ceramic bowl with a birch stump votive candleholder
 surounded by Preserved Pumpino Vase Filler from Pier 1 creates a
seasonal centerpiece. 
Ivory-colored serveware on the table will hold (clockwise from top)
mashed sweet potatoes, turkey gravy, roast turkey and stuffing,
and cranberry sauce.

We went with a very traditional, rather retro Thanksgiving menu this year.  I stuffed and roasted a turkey just the way my mother used to make hers.  I don't care what the so-called "experts" say - all my life I have eaten turkey roasted with stuffing inside and never once has anyone gotten sick, nor have we ever had a dry turkey.  We also ate jellied cranberry sauce from a can, which is what we both had when we were kids (does anyone else remember, like I do, those serving dish and slicer sets made and sold specifically for the can-shaped cranberry sauce logs?).

My husband convinced me to make green bean casserole again (his family's tradition but not mine).  And we had pumpkin pie, which we both love, although I did make mine with an almond crust instead of using wheat flour crust.  The mashed sweet potatoes are a compromise.  My husband is a fan of mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving while I am not (so much starchy food in one meal!), but I am willing to serve sweet potatoes as long as I can make them like mashed white potatoes, i.e., with butter and milk but no added sugars or spices (I abhor candied sweet potatoes).  And while I am the world's worst gravy maker, this year my gravy was adequate (a bit too oily, but at least it was not overly salty!).

Autumn Colors Thanksgiving Menu:

Roast Turkey/Turkey Gravy
Jellied Cranberry Sauce
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole

🍁🍂🍗🍁🍂🍗🍁🍂🍗🍁🍂🍗🍁🍂🍗🍁🍂🍗🍁🍂🍗🍁🍂

I hope everyone had a glorious Thanksgiving - enjoy what's left of the holiday weekend!

Beautiful mums for Thanksgiving!
                

No comments:

Post a Comment