April 23rd is National Picnic Day!

Friday, November 10, 2017

Foodie Fridays: Green Bean Spaghetti Alfredo


This recipe was actually inspired by one I found for Cacio e Pepe, which is a simple cheese and pepper sauce.  However, I cannot eat a lot of black pepper as it makes me choke, so I revised the recipe by omitting the pepper, which essentially makes it a light alfredo sauce instead.  I used another type of bean pasta this week, this one made with green beans, believe it or not, and it was quite good (it tasted just like wheat pasta, with only the slightest hint of green bean flavor).

Since I had a shallot left over from another recipe, I sautéed it in the butter before adding the cream.  If you like black pepper, you can follow the original recipe and add it instead of or in addition to the shallot.  I also added a little Wondra flour because I was not sure the green bean pasta water would thicken the sauce enough.  This is such a simple recipe, but quite tasty.  Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best!

Green Bean Spaghetti Alfredo

7 oz. green bean spaghetti (I used Bellabondonza Organic Green Bean Spaghetti)
2 T. butter
1 small shallot, minced (and/or 1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper)
1/4 C. heavy cream
4 oz. freshly grated Parmesan
1/2 T. Wondra flour
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pasta according to package directions.  Drain the pasta, reserving about a cup of the pasta water.  Return the empty pot to medium heat and add the butter.  When the butter is melted, stir in the shallot (or black pepper) and sauté for a couple of minutes.  Add the cream and 3/4 C. of the pasta water and bring to a simmer.  Add the cheese and stir until slightly thickened, about 2-4 minutes.  If the sauce does not seem thick enough, stir in the Wondra flour and cook until thickened.   Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Add the spaghetti and gently toss until well combined with the sauce, adding more pasta water if needed (I did not need it).  Serve immediately, sprinkled with a little grated Parmesan and minced parsley if desired.  Serves 4.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment