Friday, November 3, 2017

Foodie Fridays: Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Gingered Brussels Sprouts


This pasta dish was inspired by a recipe I found for Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Shredded Brussels Sprouts, Bacon and Raisins.  I liked the idea of the butternut squash sauce, and I decided to use chickpea penne instead of the wheat pasta in the original recipe.  I was not so thrilled with the Brussels sprouts recipe, as I cannot eat bacon and was not keen on adding raisins.  However, I subsequently discovered a recipe for Shredded Ginger Brussels Sprouts and felt that it would be a great substitution, so the following recipe is the result.

I changed up the pasta sauce recipe a bit to complement the flavors of the Brussels sprouts.  Since I had leftover rotisserie chicken, I added some to the pasta, but leave it out if you like.  You could easily shred your own Brussels sprouts, but I am too lazy to do so, especially when I can buy pre-shredded ones so conveniently at our local Publix.  Even the butternut squash was already diced by those thoughtful supermarket employees.  Actually, I use pre-minced garlic and ginger for the same reason.  I love the idea that I can be a thoroughly lazy cook and still come up with healthy and satisfying recipes that taste good!

Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Gingered Brussels Sprouts

Butternut Squash Pasta:
2 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. minced ginger
12 oz. peeled butternut squash, diced
1 C. chicken broth (plus extra as needed)
2 T. butter
1/4 C. heavy cream
1/3 C. sliced scallions
2 C. diced cooked chicken (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz. chickpea penne (I used Banza Penne Made from Chickpeas)

Gingered Brussels Sprouts:
1 T. olive oil
12 oz. shaved or shredded Brussels sprouts (I used Eat Smart Shaved Brussels Sprouts)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
2 T. water
1/4 tsp. sugar (I used coconut sugar)
1/3 C. sliced scallions

For the pasta sauce, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Sauté the garlic in the pot for one minute.  Add the ginger and squash and toss to combine.  Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.  Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes (add more chicken broth as needed if the pot begins to look too dry).

Uncover the pot and remove from the heat.  Blend the squash with an immersion blender until smooth (or if you don't mind a chunkier sauce use a potato masher like I did).  Return the pan to low heat and add the butter, stirring until the butter melts completely.  Add the cream and stir until well combined.  Stir in the scallions, plus the chicken if using, and heat through, adding more chicken broth if the sauce is too thick.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.

Cook the pasta according to package directions.  Rinse and drain.  Add to the pot with the butternut squash sauce and stir to combine.  Set aside.

In a large skillet, sauté the Brussels sprouts in 1 T. olive oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.  Add the ginger and garlic and cook one more minute.  Stir in the salt, water, and sugar.  Cover the skillet and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the Brussels sprouts are tender.  Stir in the scallions and heat through.  To serve, top individual servings of pasta with spoonfuls of the cooked Brussels sprouts.  Serves 4.

Note: You can make the Brussels sprouts ahead of time and refrigerate them until needed.  Heat them in the microwave when ready to serve.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment