April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Thursday, October 27, 2016

This 'n That Thursdays: The 13 Most Common Phobias

(from Bay Therapy)

The travel destinations described in my posts over the past two weeks got me thinking about what scares people most, in particular their phobias, which are defined as extreme or irrational fears.  I found a list of the 100 most common phobias (that's a whole lot of fear!), and I thought I would mention the top 13 here in honor of Halloween.  As I like to tell my mildly zuigerphobic dog Ruby whenever I pull out the vacuum cleaner,

"Be prepared to be scared!"

1) Arachnophobia, or fear of spiders

Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula (from Tarantula Guide).

2) Ophidiophobia, or fear of snakes

Rattlesnake ready to strike (from Horizon Times).

3) Acrophobia, or fear of heights

Man falling from a tall building (from Thrillvania Haunted House Park).

4) Agoraphobia, or fear of public places

Fearful woman in a crowd (from Psychology Today).

5) Cynophobia, or fear of dogs

Chihuahua threat (from Chihuahua Wardrobe).

6) Astraphobia, or fear of thunder/lightning

Menacing thunderstorm (from HomeAdvisor).

7) Claustrophobia, or fear of enclosed spaces

Man trapped in a tight space (from Hawaii Hypnosis Center).

8) Mysophobia, or fear of germs

The world of microorganisms (from TET Success Key).

9) Aerophobia, or fear of flying

Woman afraid of flying (from National Geographic).

10) Trypophobia, or fear of holes

Lotus pod seed holes (from UnDepress).

I suffer from a slight case of this one.  The lotus pod does not bother me, but I found some images on the web that were so creepy they haunted me for days (I absolutely could not even post the links here!).

11) Carcinophobia, or fear of cancer

A cancer treatment center (from Cancer Survivorship Training).

12) Thanatophobia, or fear of death

Graveyard gloom (from Photography Blogger).

13) Glossophobia, or fear of public speaking

Public speaking is terrifying!
(from SpeechClub)

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

There are so many more phobias to check out for those who are interested, but one more that I had to add just for this time of the year is #90 on the list:

14) Samhainophobia, or fear of Halloween!

Creepy Halloween jack o' lantern (From HQWalls4U).

I hope you have a happy and phobia-free Halloween!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment