Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Wish List Wednesdays: Gardener's Supply Company Vita Urbana Keyhole Garden

Now that the weather is warming up, I am starting to think about getting my vegetable garden ready.  This year I thought I would try a raised bed in the smaller of our two courtyard areas so that I can plant some greens and possibly either beans or peas.  I checked out the Gardener's Supply Company website, and when I saw the Vita Urbana Keyhole Garden ($249.99) I knew it was the one for me.  I liked the 3x5-foot size since the area in which it will sit is not very big, and I also liked the 22-inch height which is taller than most raised beds.  The most interesting aspect of this bed, however, is the composting keyhole, an African technique using a central composting basket into which food scraps and other clean organic matter are placed so that they break down to nourish the surrounding soil where the vegetable crops are growing.  Best of all, a portion of the profits from the sale of these raised beds is donated to help build keyholes gardens in Rwanda in an effort to promote healthy and sustainable food production.  I chose the brown color (below), but it is also available in gray (above).  It is made of a frostproof, BPA/phthalate-free composite that is easily assembled without tools.  I can't wait to receive my new raised bed so that I can get started on planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment