May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, April 30, 2021

Foodie Fridays: My Favorite Grilled Cheese Sandwich


A grilled cheese sandwich is pretty basic, but I am sure that everyone has their own favorite version of this classic sandwich.  My current favorite includes rye bread (I like all types of rye, and find pumpernickel, marble, and seeded rye to be equally good).  I also like to use two types of cheese - two slices of a medium to sharp cheddar for the flavor, and one slice of mozzarella for an especially gooey cheese filling.

If you used pre-sliced cheese and find it hard to separate the Cheddar slices from each other without tearing them to bits (happens to me all the time), here is my unique solution - after buttering each bread slice, carefully slip the still oily butter knife between the slices and they are pretty much guaranteed to separate cleanly without tearing!  I have used this technique many times now and it has never once failed me. 

Instead of real butter, I now use Country Crock Plant Butter with Almond Oil spread, and actually prefer it.  It is also better for my health - once I switched from a real butter blend to all plant butter (and also switched from half 'n half to nut or oat milk creamer), my cholesterol dropped down to a normal range again.  I was amazed that just making these two changes to my diet made such a difference - I can even still eat real cheese!  If you do not already have a favorite version of a grilled cheese sandwich, give mine a try, or experiment and come up with your own!

My Favorite Grilled Cheese Sandwich

2 slices rye bread (any flavor)
1 T. softened butter (or a buttery spread)
2 sliced sharp Cheddar cheese
1 slice mozzarella cheese

Spread one side of each bread slice with butter.  Top the unbuttered side of one piece of bread with a slice of Cheddar, then the mozzarella, and finally the remaining Cheddar.  Place the second piece of bread on top with the buttered side facing up.

Heat a frying pan over medium heat.  Place the sandwich in the pan and cook for several minutes until the bottom is golden brown and the cheese starts to melt.  Lift the sandwich out of the pan and flip so that the top side of the sandwich can brown as well.

After a few minutes, when the second side is also golden brown and the cheese is completely melted, remove the sandwich from the pan, cut in half, and serve.  Serves 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment