Friday, April 23, 2021

Foodie Fridays: Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins

The strawberries in our local stores have been especially sweet and tasty this year.  I have been buying them on a regular basis, and thought I would try baking with some, which is not something I usually do with strawberries.  I found a recipe for Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins that made six muffins instead of the usual dozen, an amount that is perfect for me since I am only cooking for myself at the moment.

I loved the combination of nutty, chewy oatmeal with the sweet juicy strawberries.  Since I did not have the sanding sugar called for in the recipe to sprinkle on the tops, I just used granulated sugar and it worked just fine.  I found that I did not have to drain my berries before stirring them into the batter because they did not produce much liquid, but if your berries are juicier be sure to drain them or the batter will be too wet.  These muffins are great for breakfast on a spring morning, or at any other time of the year (or day!) for that matter, so give them a try if you are in the mood for muffins.

Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins

1/2 C. milk (I used almond milk)
1/2 C. rolled oats (plus extra for sprinkling)
1 C. diced fresh strawberries
1/4 C. butter, softened
1/2 C. sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine the milk and oats together in a small bowl and let soak.  In another bowl, toss the strawberries with 1 tsp. sugar.  Set aside.

Cream the butter and remaining sugar in a large bowl until light.  Add the egg, beating well.  Stir in the vanilla and the soaked oats.

In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Gently stir the flour mixture into the creamed oats mixture.  Drain the strawberries and fold in gently.

Line a muffin tin with 6 liners and fill equally with the batter.  Sprinkle the sugar and some oats over the tops of the muffins.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool for 10-15 minutes before removing the muffins from the tin.  Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment