May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, April 9, 2021

Foodie Fridays: Curried Couscous Salad

Now that warmer weather is approaching, I am ready to try out new salad recipes.  I found a recipe for Curried Couscous Salad last summer, but only now got around to making it.  I wish I had made this salad sooner because it really is tasty!  It is also very quick and easy, which makes it just my kind of recipe since I am a rather lazy cook.  Don't let the seemingly long list of ingredients intimidate you - the last eight ingredients are for the dressing, and the only cooking needed is for the couscous.  I could not find plain couscous, so I used a boxed mix that worked quite well in this recipe.  I did make a few minor changes - this is the sort of recipe that lends itself to the addition or subtraction of ingredients depending on what you have available.  This salad really is perfect as a spring or summer side dish or even main dish with some added protein, and I look forward to making it again soon.

Curried Couscous Salad

1 C. Israeli or pearl couscous, cooked, rinsed, drained, and cooled
1/2 C. golden raisins
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2-1 C. shredded carrots
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 C. sunflower seed kernels
1/2 C. crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
1/4 C. olive oil
1/4 C. apple cider vinegar
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. honey or sugar
1 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. salt

Place the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine.

Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour this dressing over the salad mixture and lightly toss to coat.  Taste and season with more salt if needed.  Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment