Friday, March 5, 2021

Foodie Fridays: Easy Baked Tofu


I have always liked tofu (AKA bean curd), but for years I avoided eating it because it would upset my stomach (as most legumes tend to do for me).  Recently I decided to give tofu a try again, as I have discovered that if I introduce legumes back into my diet carefully I can tolerate them.  I am happy to say that as long as I keep portion sizes small I can once again enjoy tofu!  This recipe for Easy Baked Tofu from the Moosewood Restaurant website is a great way to prepare this nutrient-rich soybean product.  It can be eaten on its own or used in other dishes, such as the Easy Miso Soup recipe I posted last week.  The original recipe includes a stovetop preparation option as well as a sweet and sour variation, so check it out if you are interested.  I am so happy that I can eat tofu again - I have missed it!

Easy Baked Tofu

1 cake firm tofu (about 16 ounces)
1 T. vegetable oil
1 T. dark sesame oil
3 T. soy sauce
2 tsp. grated peeled ginger root (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)

Cut the tofu into slices, cubes, triangles, or sticks (I cut mine into 12 squares).  Place in a lightly oiled baking dish large enough to hold the tofu in a single layer.

Whisk together the remaining ingredients and drizzle over the tofu.  Gently turn or toss to coat thoroughly.

Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the oil is sizzling and the tofu is firm and chewy.  Remove from the oven, cool slightly, and serve.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment