Friday, September 4, 2020

Foodie Fridays: Turkey and Zucchini Meatloaf

Meatloaf with a zucchini casserole (casserole recipe next week).

Meatloaf seems to be one of those foods that people either love or hate.   I happen to love it, even though I can no longer use red meat to make it due to my allergies.  Ground turkey is my protein substitute of choice, although ground chicken would probably work as well.

This recipe for Turkey and Zucchini Meatloaf was chosen to help me use up some of the bountiful zucchini I am harvesting right now (I left the carrot out of the original recipe and added even more zucchini instead).  I have found that the secret to a truly moist meatloaf is to load it up with vegetables - I always add lots of onion, but the addition of zucchini really keeps this loaf moist.  And I always add a Worcestershire sauce-flavored catsup topping because the tangy tartness really complements the juicy but mildly flavored meatloaf.  If you are a meatloaf lover like me, you should give this recipe a try!

Turkey and Zucchini Meatloaf

2 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 small zucchini, shredded (about 2 C.)
1 lb. ground turkey
3/4 cup catsup
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/4 C. panko or regular breadcrumbs
3/4 C. minced fresh parsley (optional)

Heat the olive oil in a skillet and sauté the onions until translucent.  Add the garlic and sauté for about one minute, then add the zucchini and sauté for a few more minutes until all of the vegetables are soft.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the turkey with 1/2 C. catsup and 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce plus all of the other ingredients.  Put the mixture into a lightly greased loaf pan and level with a spoon.  Whisk together the remaining 1/4 C. catsup and 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl and spread it evenly over the top of the loaf to cover completely.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.  Remove from the oven, cover with foil, and let sit for 15 minutes before cutting into slices.  Serves 6.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment