Friday, September 11, 2020

Foodie Fridays: Cheesy Zucchini and Hatch Chile Bake


I know you saw this picture last week for the meatloaf recipe, but I did promise to post the recipe for the zucchini casserole shown as well, so I repeated the image and now present the recipe for Cheesy Zucchini and Hatch Chile Bake.  All of the dishes I have been making lately include summer squash because I have so much from my garden to use up, and I have to say that I think this recipe is my favorite so far (although the one for Chocolate Zucchini Bread may tie for first place).

This dish is quick and easy to assemble, includes roasted Hatch chiles which are in abundant supply here in New Mexico right now, and best of all tastes fabulous.  What more can you ask of a recipe?  If you cannot find fresh roasted Hatch chiles, feel free to use any type of green chile that you prefer (I recommend this bottled version).  Should you be on the hunt for a way to use zucchini, then this is definitely the recipe you should try!

Cheesy Zucchini and Hatch Chile Bake

3 lbs. zucchini, grated
1 tsp. salt
1 C. sour cream
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 C. cooked rice
1 tsp. cumin
1 C. chopped roasted Hatch chiles
1 1/2 C. cheddar cheese

Grate the zucchini into a colander placed over a large mixing bowl.  Stir in 1/2 tsp. salt.  Let it sit for 15 minutes, then squeeze out the excess moisture.  Rinse out the bowl and add the shredded zucchini.  Stir in the sour cream, eggs, rice, 1/2 tsp. salt, cumin, hatch chilies, and 1 C. cheese.

Pour the zucchini mixture into a greased 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.  Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.  Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment