May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, August 7, 2020

Foodie Fridays: Cheesy Zucchini Melts

Cheesy Zucchini Melt made with homegrown zucchini and served with a handful of sweet cherry tomatoes, also from my garden!

I am being overwhelmed with zucchini from my garden right now, which means that I am frantically searching for recipes that use as much zucchini as possible!  I have already made lots of stir-fried vegetables and a zucchini bread, and just made this recipe for cheesy Zucchini Melts.  While it does not use up a lot of squash, this is a very tasty sandwich.

I omitted the salt and pepper used in the filling in the original recipe because I decided that the mustard was all the seasoning that was needed.  I also substituted Monterey Jack cheese for sharp cheddar because that is what I had.  I enjoyed this sandwich so much that I will be making it again even after zucchini season is over.  Tune in next week for yet another zucchini recipe, as I still have plenty of squash to use up!

Cheesy Zucchini Melts

4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/2 C. (6 oz.) shredded cheese (I used Monterey Jack)
2 T. whole grain mustard
1 medium zucchini, grated
1/2 tsp. salt
4 T. unsalted butter, softened
8 slices marble rye bread

Place the first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl and let sit out at room temperature while preparing the zucchini.

Place the grated zucchini in a colander set inside a large bowl.  Sprinkle with the salt, toss to combine, and let sit for 30 minutes.  Squeeze the zucchini with your fingertips to remove excess water.  Add to the cheese mixture and mix with a fork until well combined.

Butter one side of the bread slices with the softened butter.  Flip 4 slices over and smear them with 1/3 cup of the cheese mixture.  Close the sandwiches with the remaining bread slices, buttered side up.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add 2 of the sandwiches and cook until golden-brown and the cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes per side.  Transfer to a cutting board and repeat with the remaining 2 sandwiches.  Slice in half and serve immediately.  Serves 4.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment