April 29th is International Dance Day!

Friday, March 1, 2019

Foodie Fridays: Seriously Tasty St. Patrick's Day Soup


I had a number of leftover ingredients in my fridge that had to get used up, so I decided one rainy morning to make a pot of soup.  To my delight, this rich and creamy soup turned a lovely shade of pale green, making it a perfect recipe to serve on St. Patrick's Day.  And as my name for this soup suggests, it is a seriously tasty concoction!  A loaf of Irish soda bread would be the only addition needed to serve up a satisfying lunch (and maybe a cup of tea as well).

Seriously Tasty St. Patrick's Day Soup

2 C. chicken stock (I used unsalted)
20 oz. refrigerated shredded hash browns (I used Simply Potatoes)
16 0z. frozen sliced leeks, thawed (I used Trader Joe's)
3 C. liquid dairy (I used 1 C. each milk, light cream, and kefir)
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1 bag (16 oz.) microwaveable broccoli florets, cooked
1/2 C. mascarpone cheese
4 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot's Seriously Sharp)
1 package (3/4 oz.) chives, minced

Place the chicken stock, hash browns, and leeks in a 4-quart stock pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender, stirring often (do not let the bottom of the pot scorch!).  Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

Using an immersion blender, blend the potato mixture for a few minutes to break up any larger vegetable pieces (do not over-blend or the mixture could turn gluey).  Add the liquid dairy, salt, and broccoli and blend for a few more minutes to break up the larger broccoli pieces.

Return to medium-low heat and add the cheeses, cooking and stirring until both cheeses melt.  Remove from the heat and blend again for a few minutes to fully incorporate the cheeses.  Stir in the minced chives and serve.  Serves 6.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment