April 29th is International Dance Day!

Friday, March 29, 2019

Foodie Fridays: Amazingly Easy Thai Coconut Soup


Earlier this year my husband and I had lunch at a local Thai restaurant.  I had their version of Tom Yum soup, which was coconut milk-based and was served with shrimp over noodles.  I loved it so much I decided to try making a similar soup at home.  I found a simple recipe for Amazingly Easy Thai Coconut Soup, modified it slightly, and came up with a dish that was close enough to my inspiration meal to satisfy my craving for Thai soup.  If you decide to try this recipe be sure to check out my rather extensive notes at the bottom of the post for suggestions and substitutions, because this is a very forgiving soup that can easily be changed to accommodate your own taste preferences!

Amazingly Easy Thai Coconut Soup

1 T. oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ginger
2 tsp. minced lemongrass
1 T. brown or coconut sugar
1 T. fish sauce
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 T. sweet chili sauce
2 C. chicken stock or broth
1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk (I used the lower fat type)
12 extra large shrimp, cooked
1 lime
8 oz. long noodles or thin spaghetti, cooked
1 bag (5 oz.) baby greens
Optional toppings, (sliced scallions or onions, bean sprouts, cilantro sprigs, lime wedges, etc.)

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the garlic, ginger, and lemongrass and sauté for 20 seconds until the garlic is golden.  Add the sugar and fish sauce.  Sir and cook for 30 seconds (the mixture should look like caramel).  Add the curry powder, coriander, and chili paste and cook for an additional 30 seconds.

Stir in the chicken stock and coconut milk.  Bring the soup to a simmer.  Simmer for two minutes and then stir in the shrimp and grate in the zest from the lime.  Cook for two minutes longer just to heat up the shrimp.

Divide the noodles among three large shallow bowls.  Top each with a handful of the greens.  Ladle out equal portions of hot soup and shrimp into each bowl.  Add toppings of your choice and serve.  Serves 3.

Notes:

You can use lemongrass paste instead of fresh lemongrass if you prefer (I used the Gourmet Garden brand).

Fish sauce has a very strong and funky flavor and odor, so I reduced the amount to 1 T. from the 1 1/2 T. called for in the original recipe.

Because I am a wimp when it comes to spicy hot foods, I used a sweet chili sauce instead the recommended hot chili paste, but suit yourself when it comes to the heat level of this soup.

To cook the shrimp, I recommend baking or roasting using the Ina Garten method (use vegetable instead of olive oil, and add lime juice).

I used Japanese soba (buckwheat) noodles, but any long, thin pasta would work.

You can use the baby greens fresh in this dish, or you can sauté them first (as I did) in some vegetable oil and finish with a little salt and the juice of one lime.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment