April 19th is National Garlic Day!

Friday, July 1, 2016

Foodie Fridays: Green Pea and Brown Rice Salad


On my quest to eat healthier foods, I am always looking for delicious salad recipes.  For some reason, I have several bags of peas in the freezer, so I searched for a healthy salad recipe featuring peas, and found one for Green Pea Salad with Wild Rice.  I did not have wild rice, but I do have brown rice, so I used that instead.  I added a bell pepper and made my own dressing so that I could control the amount of salt, since I also stirred in some Marcona almonds, which are Spanish almonds that have been roasted in olive oil and then salted.  This is a hearty salad that can be served as a side dish or a light main dish.  It also keeps well and can serve a lot of people, so it would work well for the upcoming Fourth of July meal!

Green Pea and Brown Rice Salad

1 C. brown rice, cooked and cooled
1 bag (16 oz.) frozen peas, thawed
3 carrots, shredded
1 bell pepper (any color), diced
1 bunch (about 5) green onions, sliced
1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
4 oz. Marcona almonds, roughly chopped
Lemon-Ginger Vinaigrette (see below)

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.  Cover and chill until ready to serve.  Serves 12 (or 8 as a main dish).

Lemon-Ginger Vinaigrette: Whisk together 1/4 C. lemon juice (2 lemons), 1/2 C. olive oil, 1 T. minced parsley, 2 tsp. minced ginger, 1 tsp. stone ground mustard, and salt and pepper to taste until emulsified.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment