Sunday, February 28, 2021

Weekend Wardrobe: 2021 Outfit of the Week #8 (but mostly about my dog Ruby)

The past week was very stressful around here.  My poor dog Ruby became very ill Monday late in the afternoon, and ended up vomiting all night long.  Unfortunately there are no emergency veterinary services in Santa Fe (I think there were only two, and both closed when the pandemic started).  The closest emergency clinics are in Albuquerque, and since I am not very familiar with the city I was afraid to take a sick dog there in an attempt to find one of the two clinics (I am very prone to getting lost).  I had to wait until 7:30 AM to get her to her regular vet, and by the time she got there she was dehydrated, feverish, and had a very high heart rate.

The vet started her on IV fluids and antibiotics immediately, and by the next morning she was well hydrated and her heart rate and temperature were normal, but she was still nauseated and refusing to eat.  She had vomited up a foreign object Monday night that none of us could identify, and even though x-rays and ultrasounds showed nothing we were afraid something was stuck in her digestive system.  She ended up having exploratory surgery on Friday, and the good and the bad news was that nothing was found.  We still did not know what was wrong, but the vet decided to put her on an appetite stimulant on Saturday.  By the time I got to visit her that day she was eating, but was still a bit groggy and sleepy from surgery.  I am waiting to hear from the vet today (Sunday) to see if the food she ate made it through her system with no problems.  If so, she can come home tomorrow.  (I decided to go ahead with this post only because I am trying to keep myself from stressing out while I wait to hear more from the vet.)

Needless to say, I have been anxious all week.  I had to make a quick trip into town on the day Ruby had surgery to pick up one of my prescriptions, so I decided I needed to wear a powerful color.  I chose head to toe plum purple, as purple to me is a strong color.  While I am normally not fond of this hue I do like the more reddish plum shade.  I also wore a little purple bear pendant under my tee for even more support.  Below is the outfit I wore for strength on the day of Ruby's surgery (it seemed to work as she came through the procedure with no problems, even though she is not a young dog):

Clockwise from top left: Acorn Favorite Cotton Sweater in Plum (no longer available); Sterling Silver and Amethyst Navajo Bear Fetish Pendant Necklace (no longer available - similar to mine); Maria's Room Super Tiny Silver Lined Purple Seed Bead Necklace (similar to mine); Craghoppers Women's Venta Lite Hooded Insulated Jacket in Black (similar to mine); Great American Leatherworks Braid Flap Crossbody Bag in Dark Tan (color no longer available); MediPEDS Crew Socks in Black; Dockers Vargas Boat Shoes in Rust; Patrizia Pepe Skinny High Waisted Jeans in Plum (similar to mine); L.L. Bean Women's Long-Sleeve Interlock Mock-Turtleneck in Plum Grape (similar to mine).

🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶

Please keep Ruby in your thoughts and prayers as she recovers from her scary health problem - she needs all the support she can get!  We are thinking that her digestive system just temporarily shut down for a while after the stress and trauma of her illness and that she should recover now - I will update this post when I hear more news from her vet.  What would we do without our pets to get us through these long pandemic days?  Take care of yourselves and your animals, everyone!

Update: Ruby got to come home today (Monday).  She is still not completely well, but I think she will recover faster at home where she is more comfortable and less stressed.  It is so good to have her back again - I missed her so while she was at the vet clinic!

No comments:

Post a Comment