May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, February 5, 2021

Foodie Fridays: Smoked Sausage with Sauerkraut

I am still emptying out my fridge and pantry, and this week I wanted to use up a bag of sauerkraut that was sitting in the fridge.  A recipe for smoked sausage with sauerkraut was the simplest solution - it is reminiscent of the sort of food I grew up eating in western Pennsylvania, and it could not be easier to make.  I have a couple of recipes for sausage and sauerkraut on my blog already (here and here) but today's recipe is about as simple as it gets. 

I happen to love caraway seeds so I am very generous when adding them, but use your own judgment as to the amount, or leave them out if you are one of those odd people who does not care for them.  If I were a more ambitious cook I would have sautéed some onions along with the sausage, but I was too lazy to bother.  My red meat allergy meant I had to use turkey sausage, but by all means use a pork version if you like.  Potatoes are the ideal side dish, especially in the form of pierogi.  This is a great winter comfort food, and it is also one of the quickest and easiest dishes to make.

Smoked Sausage with Sauerkraut

1 package (13 oz.) smoked sausage links (I used Eckrich Turkey Smoked Sausage)
2 T. olive oil
1 bag (16 oz.) refrigerated sauerkraut (I used Cleveland Kraut Classic Caraway)
1 T. caraway seeds
1 T. Wondra flour (optional)

Slice each of the two sausage links slightly on the diagonal into 16 disks (for a total of 32).  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the sausage disks and sauté for a couple of minutes, then flip them and cook for two minutes more.

Drain and rinse the sauerkraut if desired.  Add the sauerkraut and caraway seeds to the sausage in the skillet and heat through.  If you choose not to drain the sauerkraut and the liquid does not cook down, you can add the Wondra flour to thicken the liquid slightly.  Divide the sausage and sauerkraut evenly among four plates and serve with pierogi if you can find them or mashed potatoes if you cannot.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment