May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, February 12, 2021

Foodie Fridays: Scandinavian Autumn Fruit Soup


I have never had a warm fruit soup before, but when I tried a recipe for Scandinavian Autumn Fruit Soup recently I had to wonder what took me so long!  This soup is delicious, especially when topped with a scoop of vanilla yogurt.  It can also be served cold, but in the winter I think warm is best.  The only change I made was to omit the raisins and currants and use 2 T. of a dried fruit blend I found at Walmart called Dried Berries and Golden Raisins (a mix of dried cranberries, cherries, and raisins) instead.

I had the soup for lunch rather than as a dessert as recommended.  Because it has no added sugar it is not overly sweet, and with a handful of nuts I thought it was perfect as a light midday meal.  I really recommend trying this quick, easy, and tasty soup as soon as possible - it is just that good!

Scandinavian Autumn Fruit Soup

2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
2 pears, peeled, cored, and quartered
1 C. frozen pitted dark sweet cherries (no need to thaw)
1/3 C. prunes, quartered
1/3 C. dried apricots, quartered
1 T. raisins
1 T. dried currants
1 3-inch cinnamon stick
4 C. water

Combine all of the soup ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove from the heat and discard the cinnamon stick.  Let cool slightly.  Scoop out the apples and pears and put them in a large bowl with about 1/4 cup of the soup liquid.  Cut them into smaller chunks and purée with an immersion blender until smooth.  Add the purée to the soup.  Return the pot to the stove and bring to a simmer.  Serve the soup warm (not hot) or cold, topped with some vanilla yogurt if desired.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment