May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, November 13, 2020

Foodie Fridays: Creamy Tortellini Vegetable Stew

Colder weather has put me in the mood for warm and hearty soups and stews, and the recipe for Healthier Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Vegetable Soup from the Half Baked Harvest website was just the sort of dish I was looking for.  I chose to make the stove top version rather than use my slow cooker, since it was quicker and just as easy.  I did not have celery but still had some zucchini left from my now-defunct vegetable garden, so I added that instead.  Also, I used baby greens instead of kale because they require no prep work at all, and you must know by now what a lazy cook I am!

I had a large can of tomato sauce that I wanted to use up, so I replaced most of the chicken broth with the tomato sauce and left out the tomato paste called for in the original recipe.  I decided to omit the addition of cheese to the recipe as well since the cheese tortellini added more than enough of that ingredient for me.  The end result was a dish much heartier than a soup, so I call my version a stew.  By any name, this dish is just what I needed on a chilly night.  If cold weather has reached your neck of the woods, you might want to give this recipe a try too!

Creamy Tortellini Vegetable Stew

1/4 C. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
6 carrots, diced
2 medium zucchini, diced
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. fresh thyme leaves (or 2 tsp. dried)
1 T. basil
1 T. oregano
2 tsp. fennel seeds
1 tsp. smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 large can (29 oz.) tomato sauce (I used unsalted)
1/2 C. white wine
2 C. vegetable or chicken broth (I used unsalted)
1 container (5 oz.) mixed baby greens
1/2 C. whole milk or heavy cream
1 lb. cheese tortellini

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and carrots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the zucchini and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic, thyme, basil, oregano, fennel, paprika, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.  Cook another 5 minutes, until very fragrant.  Stir in the tomato sauce, wine, and broth.  Simmer over medium heat for 20-30 minutes, until the carrots are tender.

About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the baby greens, cream, and tortellini.  Serve the soup topped with grated Parmesan, if desired. Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment