May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, April 24, 2020

Foodie Fridays: Quick Chicken Shawarma with Mashed Sesame Sweet Potatoes and Greens


One of these days I will be making the recipe for Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma with Sesame Sweet Potatoes and Hummus from the Half Baked Harvest website.  However, I had leftover chicken breasts from a rotisserie chicken that had to be used up, so I modified this recipe to make a quicker version with the same seasonings.  I had a bag of microwaveable sweet potatoes, and since I was not roasting the chicken I simply microwaved the potatoes and turned then into a mash flavored with sesame seeds.  I used power greens rather than arugula, so I decided to sauté them rather than serve them raw (I also left out the sun-dried tomatoes, which I did not have on hand).  My version may not be quite the same as the original, but the chicken seasoning really makes this dish (in my opinion, the fresh lemon is essential so do not leave it out!).  As I said, one day soon I will make the original recipe, but for now this quick variation is a delicious and satisfying substitute!

Quick Chicken Shawarma with Mashed Sesame Sweet Potatoes and Greens

2 cooked chicken breasts, diced or shredded
1 1/2 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp. garlic-infused olive oil
1 T. sweet chili sauce
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. cumin
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1 bag (1 1/2 lbs.) microwaveable sweet potatoes (about 4)
2 T. olive oil
2 T. butter
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 T. toasted sesame seeds
1 package (5 oz.) fresh baby power greens (or other greens)
1 T. olive oil
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

Combine the first 8 ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Microwave on HIGH for one minute.  Set aside (this may make more than 2 servings depending on the size of the chicken breasts).

Microwave the sweet potatoes according to package directions until soft.  Cool slightly before peeling.  Mash the sweet potatoes with the 2 T. olive oil, butter, 2 tsp. sesame oil, and 1 T. sesame seeds until smooth and well combined.  Set aside (this will make more than 2 servings of mashed potatoes).

Sauté the baby greens in the 1 T. olive oil over medium heat until wilted.  Stir in the sesame oil and 1 tsp. sesame seeds.

For each serving, place a large scoop of the mashed sweet potatoes at the bottom of a large bowl.  Top with half of the chicken and half of the greens.  Serves 2.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment