May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, February 1, 2019

Foodie Fridays: Baking Pan Ricotta Frittata


Our hen Dixie is an egg-laying machine!  She has continued to lay eggs through the winter, and I am having a hard time using up all of the eggs I have gathered.  They have been accumulating on our kitchen countertop, but when one of those numerous eggs (17!) rolled off the counter and smashed to smithereens on the floor recently I decided it was past time to make an egg dish!

I had been reading recipes for frittatas just baked in the oven, rather than started on the stovetop and then finished in the oven.  A lot of the recipes called them "sheet pan frittatas", but most of the recipes were actually made in a 9x13-inch baking pan.  I wanted to make a simple version, but one that used a maximum number of eggs, so I settled on a recipe with ricotta but no vegetables, and threw in some chives for a little more flavor.  One of the recipes I found suggested adding cheese to the top of the frittata for the last five minutes of baking to keep the top from becoming too brown.  I love cheese, so I was happy to follow this suggestion!

This recipe couldn't be easier, and the end result is delicious.  I will probably never make a frittata on the stovetop again!  Best of all, the rectangular shape of the slices makes them suitable for using in sandwiches, and egg sandwiches are a favorite of mine.  I think I have now found the ideal recipe for using up as many eggs as Dixie wants to lay, which reminds me that I haven't gathered up the most recent additions in a couple of days, so I'd better get out there!

Baking Pan Ricotta Frittata

12 eggs
1/2 C. liquid dairy (milk, cream, sour cream, yogurt, etc.)
1 C. ricotta cheese
1 pkg. (0.75 oz.) chives, minced (about 1/2 C.)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1 C. shredded cheese (I used a Cheddar, mozzarella, and Parmesan blend)

Line a greased 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray, or just generously grease the pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, liquid dairy (I used sour cream), ricotta, chives, nutmeg, and half of the shredded cheese.  Season to taste with salt and pepper (I used 1/2 tsp. salt and no pepper).  Pour into the prepared baking pan.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese evenly over the top and bake for about five minutes longer, until the cheese is melted, the top is golden, and the frittata is cooked through (do not overbake or the bottom may burn).

Remove the pan from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into slices.  Serves 8.
             

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind words about the passing of my father. They really are a comfort. Meanwhile, this looks amazingly good, and easy to make, plus I have all of the ingredients. Trying it!

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete