May 4th is National Herb Day!

Thursday, February 14, 2019

This 'n That Thursdays: Five Daily Habits of Healthy People


From The Black Snapper

There are all kinds of healthy habits lists on the internet, but I thought I would share some of the ideas that I find most reasonable here.  I never like to start life changes at the very beginning of the year as that strategy always seems doomed to failure.   Now that we are well in to 2019, however, I decided to take a look at some suggestions for a healthier lifestyle and pick a few that I could easily add to my own life.  Here is my list of some of those recommended healthy habits:

From News from Brown

1) Get adequate sleep!

Seven to eight hours of sleep a night is the recommendation, but most people often do not get that amount.  Lack of sleep can lead to a variety of health problems, including weight gain, depression, cardiovascular disease, and even diabetes.  If possible, it is best to go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning.

From UIC Dentistry

2) Drink lots of water!

Adequate hydration is essential for a healthy body, and water is our most essential dietary nutrient.  Quite literally, our bodies cannot function at the basic biochemical level when dehydrated.  The recommended amount of daily water intake is 64 fluid ounces (eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day).  A more personalized amount can be calculated by dividing your body weight (in pounds) by half, and drinking that many ounces of water every day.  For example, if you weigh 140 pounds, try to drink 70 ounces of water daily.

From PayrollBozz

3) Take tech breaks!

Our lives are so full of high-tech gadgets that we can end up spending more time during the day looking at screens than anything else.  Taking time away from your gadgets can actually improve productivity as well as relieve stress.  Getting up and moving for a few minutes every hour will improve cardiovascular circulation, which is good for both your body and your brain.

From CrumbLink

4) Eat real food!

Consumption of whole, non-processed foods raised with as few chemicals as possible is highly recommended for a healthy diet.  The healthiest diets include mostly vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean proteins.  The more colorful the produce, the more nutrient dense it will be, so choose fruits and veggies in all the colors of the rainbow!  The Mediterranean diet, which endorses all of these principles, was recently awarded the 2019 top spot as the best overall diet.

From SilverSneakers

5) Get moving!

A sedentary lifestyle is now considered to be almost as harmful to your health as smoking (although smoking is still worse!).  There are so many benefits to physical activity that it should be a priority every day.  At least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity activity a day is ideal, but doing any type of movement is better than none at all.  If possible, incorporate exercise into your daily routine, like walking instead of driving, taking stairs instead of elevators or escalators, parking farther away from stores to increase walking distance, etc.  Every little bit helps!

💤💦💻🍲🚴💤💦💻🍲🚴💤💦💻🍲🚴💤💦💻🍲🚴

I need to work on improved sleep habits and could easily change mine for the better.  I can also always find ways to tweak my diet, and in winter especially I need to be mindful of drinking enough water, getting up from the computer more frequently, and maintaining my activity level despite sometimes uncooperative weather.  One bit of wisdom I have learned with age is that, with any lifestyle change I wish to make, I do not have to be perfect.  No goal is an all-or-nothing proposition, and if I happen to slip up once in a while all is not lost.  I can forgive myself for a misstep and get back on track, rather than just giving it all up as a failure.  All of my goals are easily achievable, and I intend to work on them as soon as possible.  Or at least right after I finish off or give away all of the Valentine's Day goodies, that is - okay just (sort of) kidding!

Happy (and healthy) Valentine's Day!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment