April 28th is Save the Frogs Day!

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Wish List Wednesdays: How I Stayed Warm During Our Cold Spell

From Alabama Public Radio

Our recent cold spell is the longest I can remember since moving to Georgia almost 15 years ago.  I really had to scramble to find clothing warm enough for this weather, even in the house.  I ended up practically living in two recently purchased items, so I thought I would share them here today.


The first is a pair of slippers sent to me by the brother I recently visited in Pennsylvania.  While there, I pretty much took over some slippers he owns to keep my feet warm indoors.  They were an old pair of L.L. Bean fleece-lined leather men's slippers which were too large for me but so comfortable that I did not care!  These slippers are no longer available, but my brother found similar ones made of felt and got me a pair for Christmas.  The fleece lining, ankle height, and slip-on ease of these slippers make them as cozy and comfortable as the ones my brother owns, and they have rarely been off of my feet since our arctic freeze began.  I have even worn them to walk to the mailbox at the top of our driveway because I am so reluctant to take them off!  The Slippers International Men's Dorm Slippers ($27.62-$45.25 depending upon color chosen) are available from Amazon.


The second item I cannot live without is the Bit & Bridle Women's Solid Quilted Vest (on sale for $13.99-$14.99) I got at Tractor Supply.  I had been looking for a quilted vest with a smooth outside finish that does not attract every animal hair in its vicinity, and this one fulfills that need perfectly.  The inside of the vest is lined with a soft flannel-like material that is warm and cozy, and there are two generous outside pockets that can hold gloves, headbands, tissues, and/or whatever else you like to stuff into pockets.  The sizing runs large, but I put this generosity to good use as I can wear this vest either under or over a coat (even a quilted one) quite easily.  Some mornings have been so cold that I ended up wearing five top layers (long-sleeve tee, flannel shirt, heavy sweatshirt, my new vest, and a winter coat) to stay warm outside, but I have even been wearing this vest indoors when I am inactive and now feel that I could not live without it.

Our prolonged cold spell has shown me that there are two items I still need to find, the first being warm but lightweight socks while the second is a pair of gloves that can keep my fingers warm without impairing their use.  I am beginning to think that the latter do not exist, but my husband recently purchased some socks from Bombas that might just work for me as well, so I think I will be purchasing a pair soon to try them out.  I hope that everyone affected by the recent cold has managed to stay warm.  Our weather is finally undergoing a warming trend, and hopefully the rest of the nation is seeing the return of milder weather as well!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment