April 28th is Save the Frogs Day!

Thursday, January 11, 2018

This 'n That Thursdays: Vacation in a Restored Frank Lloyd Wright House

The Eppstein House (from realtor.com)

The very first house I ever admired was Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, which I visited with my Girl Scout troop when I was a young girl.  I loved the way the home seemed to be part of its habitat rather than dominating it, and I was especially enamored of the opening in the living room floor where you could watch the river flow under the building.  I think I became a fan of modern architecture at that moment, and to this day I still love the style.

I know that I will never live in a Frank Lloyd Wright house, but thanks to Airbnb I could seize the opportunity to rent one for a vacation.  The Eppstein house in Galesburg, Michigan, has been thoroughly renovated, and the owners are renting it out right now.  Check out their Project Eppstein blog to follow the process as they purchase the neglected property and painstakingly restore it to its former glory.  All modern amenities have been added, but the look and feel of the house is rooted in the 1950s when the house was built.  Wherever possible original Frank Lloyd Wright pieces or items from the same time period have been included.








The three bedroom, two bathroom house can accommodate up to six guests.  For $340 a night you can rent this architecturally unique home and have it all to yourself.  Just head to the Airbnb listing and choose your dates.  Future plans include opening the house to the public once a year, but if you have your heart set on an overnight or longer stay in a Frank Lloyd Wright home then this is your chance!
             

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an amazing home! Thank you for sharing this with us.Love those clean lines and warm colors. Only one question- I wonder where they put the TV?

    ReplyDelete