April 23rd is National Picnic Day!

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

This 'n That Thursdays: My Favorite Aveda Products

From MFX Salons

I don't use a lot of beauty products.  I rarely wear makeup, and usually can't be bothered to spend the time applying creams, lotions, etc., to keep my skin and hair looking better, although I know they are probably not a bad idea, especially as I get older.  However, I am a big fan of a few products by Aveda that I do use on a regular basis.

I was first introduced to Aveda products when I lived in Colorado.  A dear friend and I would visit the Trios Aveda salon in Fort Collins on special occasions for massages and pedicures, and we were impressed with the Aveda line.  When I began to get my hair colored, I had it done at Trios with Aveda hair products.  Even after moving to Georgia I sought out an Aveda salon, but unfortunately it began to have business problems and I had to switch to another place, which is quite good but does not offer Aveda as an option.  Even so, I still order my favorite products online.

In addition to making products that I find to be very effective, the Aveda company's mission is to use naturally derived ingredients in an environmentally friendly way.  Do be aware that, because plant essential oils are used, there is the possibility of an allergic reaction.  Many plant oils are actually meant to repel predators, so even though they are natural, plant extracts are not necessarily benign!  I cannot use Aveda's Brilliant hair care line because something in the ingredients does not agree with me.  I do not have any visible allergic reactions, but if I use any of the products they make my scalp feel hot, and I get antsy and uncomfortable.  However, the products that I do use cause no adverse effects and work perfectly for me.  If possible, try to sample a product before purchasing.  Aveda products are not inexpensive, and it would be best not to buy something you cannot use!

The following is my list of four favorite Aveda products that I have been using and loving for years:

1) Botanical Kinetics Purifying Creme Cleanser


I use this cleanser on my face every morning instead of soap.  It prevents that tight, dry feeling that soap can leave, especially with the hard water problem that we have in our town.  This is the Aveda product that I have been using the longest, and I will never give it up!

2 & 3) Smooth Infusion Shampoo and Conditioner


I switched to this Aveda shampoo and conditioner after we moved to Georgia, when Aveda discontinued the products I had been using in Colorado.  I really like the light citrusy scent, and this hair care line helps to control the frizzy hair problem I encounter in our humid Georgia climate.  I have noticed that as I get older and continue to get my hair colored, this product line may be a little too drying.  I am thinking of trying a different hair care line called Color Conserve the next time I order shampoo and conditioner.

4) Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother


I don't use this product often, but when I really need frizz control after washing my hair, this smoother is the best product I have found.  It manages to control my hair without making it feel too stiff or overly slick.  At our family reunion last fall, the weather in Pittsburgh was unusually warm and humid for September.  Both my sister and sister-in-law complained that they could not get their hair to de-frizz, especially around their faces, but I had no problems when I used this Aveda smoother.

Aveda changed up their product line not long after we moved to Georgia.  My former favorite shampoo and conditioner, called Sap Moss, is no longer available, much to my chagrin as it was great for dry or treated hair.  They also discontinued their Replenishing Body Moisturizer, a light and non-greasy lotion which contained lavender extract, one of my favorite scents.  I still have a small amount left and use it sparingly (I will miss it when it is gone!).  Despite their product changes, my current favorite Aveda products are still available and I plan to continue using them on a regular basis!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment