April 19th is National Garlic Day!

Friday, March 11, 2016

Foodie Fridays: Pimento Cheese Green Bean Salad


Last fall I found a recipe for Pimiento-Cheese Green Beans in a Good Housekeeping magazine that had me craving a combination of green beans, corn, and pimento cheese.  The recipe was more of a green bean casserole variation, but I decided I wanted something more like a salad.  I searched until I found a recipe for Tom's Tiny Kitchen Green Bean Salad with Corn, Tomatoes and Pimento Cheese Dressing.  Like the name, the recipe was a bit more complicated than I wanted to tackle.  I simplified it drastically, and came up with a quick, easy, and delicious version that makes a wonderful light lunch or hearty side dish.  I think I will be preparing and eating this salad quite often as the weather gets warmer with the imminent arrival of spring!

Pimento Cheese Green Bean and Corn Salad

1 lb. slender green beans (haricots verts)
1 bag (12 oz.) frozen corn, thawed
1 shallot, minced (or 1/4 of a medium red onion)
1 container (12 oz.) refrigerated pimento cheese

Cook the green beans until tender.  Cool slightly and cut the beans into thirds.  Combine the beans, corn, and shallot in a large bowl.  Blend well with the pimento cheese.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Serves 6.

Notes: I used original flavor Palmetto Cheese, which is available in our local grocery stores.  If you prefer to make your own, check out this recipe for Classic Pimento Cheese, which makes just the amount you will need.  Even though the pimento cheese I used has a slight bit of heat to the taste, adding the vegetables diluted this spiciness, so if you like a lot of peppery heat you may wish to add some hot sauce to the recipe.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment