March 14th is Save a Spider Day!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Foodie Fridays: Greek Pasta

By BarbryT

My favorite meals are quick and easy pasta dishes, and this is one of them.  I like to use linguine, but spaghetti, fettuccini, or vermicelli can be substituted.  Also, even though I know it is not Greek, I prefer to use queso fresco instead of feta cheese because I find the latter to be too salty.  If feta is your favorite, by all means use it!  Any sort of black olives can replace the canned variety, and will probably add more authentic flavor (Kalamata olives would be perfect).  I also leave out the salt and pepper since the olives are salty and I don't care for pepper, but season to suit your own taste.  Serve some tzatziki with pita chips or crusty bread as an appetizer and some baklava for dessert, and you might feel as if you've just spent the evening on a beautiful Greek isle!

Greek Pasta

1/3 C. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. oregano
3 tomatoes, diced
1 can (6 oz.) small ripe olives, halved (about 1 C.)
8 oz. linguine, cooked and drained
6 oz. feta cheese or queso fresco, crumbled

Sauté garlic in oil.  Add next three ingredients, season to taste with salt and pepper, and simmer 5 minutes.  Stir in hot pasta and then cheese.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment