Sunday, July 26, 2020

Weekend Wardrobe: 2020 Outfit of the Week #28

A prolific pot of cilantro in flower.

I have never been able to grow cilantro before I moved to New Mexico.  We lived on a north-facing slope in Colorado so there was not enough sun, and our Georgia property was too shady as well as too humid.  The abundant sunshine and dry climate here in Santa Fe, however, seems to be the perfect combination for cilantro, and I was able to grow it easily.  Unfortunately, our recent heat wave caused the plant to bolt and go to seed, which was unfortunate for me (the leafy parts dry up), but a boon to the local harvester ants, which scrambled to collect and hoard as many of the seeds as they could carry - no small task for them, as the seeds were often bigger than their heads!

Harvester ant carrying a large cilantro seed.

Luckily these ants are very good at helping each other with awkward loads - in the photo below, the ant in the middle helped the seed-carrying ant get the seed to the top of the fence post:

Success!

I had to tear myself away from this awesome display of cooperation and industriousness in nature to fit in an essentials shopping trip last week.  I also had to take my car in to finally get all of the leaks repaired, as the last part we were waiting for recently arrived.  This repair will take a few days so I now have a loaner car, which I will drive as little as possible until my car is ready to pick up, hopefully some time this week.  Anyway, this is the outfit I wore into town:

Clockwise from top left: Coldwater Creek Sun Valley Bistro Shirt in Copper Multi; BearRunOriginals Beach Treasures Necklace (colors similar to my necklace); Great American Leatherworks Leather East/West Crossbody Bag in Dark Tan (no longer available); Dockers Vargas Boat Shoes in Rust; L.L. Bean Women's Comfort Trail Shorts in Ash (similar to mine).

For this outfit I chose a necklace that I won at a silent auction fundraiser for the State Botanical Garden of Georgia.  Even though it has a long strand as well as a short one, the strands are lightweight and for some reason the long one does not swing around too much, so it is comfortable to wear even when I am running a lot of errands.  The rust, ivory, and olive green colors in the beads complement the colors in the shirt, and this is another necklace of mine with an antique copper chain, which is one of my favorite metals.


As the weather turned slightly cooler I wore a short-sleeved shirt rather than a sleeveless one - soon it will be time to wear long pants instead of shorts.  We will have a slightly warmer spell later this week, but I can feel a touch of fall in the air.  My favorite season will be here before we know it, and I am looking forward to its arrival!
               

No comments:

Post a Comment