April 20th is Husband Appreciation Day!

Saturday, September 9, 2017

On the Homefront: Touch of Pink Dalmatian Appreciation Day Table

Dexter and Delilah Dalmatian chose to dress simply in the featured color -
Dexter sports his only pink baseball cap, while Delilah selected her hot
pink sunglasses!

Dals Delilah and Dexter are here
For their favorite time of the year.
Said Delilah, "I think
That this time we'll do pink!"
Dexter wisely responded, "Yes, dear!"

Even though this has not been the best summer for my family, I still managed to set my annual Dalmatian Appreciation Day table on August 28th since this event is my own special holiday.  Last fall I bought a set of four pink Dalmatian-themed salad plates from Anthropologie, so of course my table features these pretty finds.  The only problem is that I have no other pink dinnerware (and considering how much dinnerware I own I find this rather astonishing!).  My solution was to limit the other items on the table to a black and white color scheme (aside from a pale pink flower vase), so that the pink plates stand out.  I also chose a menu that focused on pink foods, adding just a touch more of this color to my place settings.  I am happy with the way this table turned out, but I think I am going to have to do a little shopping to add more pink to my life (although heaven knows I certainly do not need more dinnerware!).


Black round woven placemat; spotted dinner plate (made in Portugal - from HomeGoods last year); Dalmatian Dog-a-Day Dessert Plate (from Anthropologie last year - Dalmatian design no longer available); spotted flatware (from Cow Depot); black cotton napkin; black-stemmed wine glass; clear water glass.



A pale pink vase full of white and pink flowers, plus two stuffed toy
Dalmatians carrying pink hearts, join kissing Dalmatian salt and pepper
shakers at the head of the table.

A Dalmatian-themed dog bowl from Karen Donleavy holds a large pillar
candle and sits atop the Dalmatian print table runner in the center of the table.

Another Karen Donleavy Dalmatian creation sits on the table as a serving dish.


As I mentioned earlier, I chose a mostly pink-themed menu to complement this table.  I started with a seafood cocktail because my sister and I shared one at a fantastic restaurant called Pasta Pasta in Port Jefferson on Long Island and I have been craving another one ever since!  Seafood cocktails are easy to assemble - just boil your favorite seafood (lobster, crab, and shrimp were featured at the restaurant), chill until very cold, and serve with cocktail sauce.  I combined equal parts cocktail sauce and tartar sauce to create a pink color.  The rest of the menu is just as easy to make as this appetizer.  If you want some carbohydrates simply add whatever you like (I think a risotto would go particularly well with this menu, and some Italian bread if you are feeling really decadent).

Touch of Pink Menu:

Seafood Cocktail with Cocktail/Tartar Sauce
Salmon Roasted in Butter*
Sautéed Baby Greens with Lemon, Garlic, and Butter
Simple Strawberry Mousse**

*Salmon Roasted in Butter

4 T. butter
2-3 lb. salmon fillet
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.  Melt the butter in a medium roasting pan in the oven as it preheats, watching carefully so that the butter does not burn.  Remove the pan from the oven and add the salmon fillet, skin side UP.  Roast for 5 minutes, then flip and roast 3-6 minutes longer until the salmon is done (flesh just begins to flake with a fork).  Season to taste and garnish with parsley, if desired.  Serves 4.

**Simple Strawberry Mousse

1 lb. fresh strawberries, washed and stems removed
2 T. sugar, honey, or maple syrup
1½ C. heavy cream or full fat coconut cream

Place the strawberries and sweetener in a blender and blend until puréed.  Pour the cream into a cold bowl and beat until soft peaks form.  Fold the strawberry purée into the cream until thoroughly incorporated.  Spoon into small serving dishes and refrigerate for at least 30-60 minutes.  Serves 4-6.

🌸🐶🌸🐶🌸🐶🌸🐶🌸🐶🌸🐶🌸🐶🌸🐶🌸🐶🌸🐶🌸🐶🌸

Dalmatian Appreciation Day is usually the last table of the summer for me, although this year I might do one more before moving on to more autumnal themes.  I hope you had a happier summer than I did this year, but I am ready to move on to better times now.  Hopefully my favorite season will not disappoint me!

Pinky the Dalmatian could not let you leave without sharing a very
important message for Dalmatian Appreciation Day!
             

2 comments:

  1. This table is perfect! I love the plates and the flatware is to fabulous. I have been keeping good thoughts for you. And I am so happy you are posting again. I hope everything worked out OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments and good thoughts, Pat and Katie! Life has been difficult the last few months but my family is slowly but surely getting back to a normal routine. I love checking out your new table settings every week - it's the little everyday rituals that make life feel more normal, and seeing your beautiful tables every week helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete